Used 2003 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

The best car ever
By nick869

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

My honda is the best compact car that feels like I'm driving a sport. Safe, fun (drifting ha ha), and great fuel economy.

Favorite Features

Handbrake and sporty look.

Still love my Civ
By Zigger1962

2003 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in July 2003, have put 110k miles on in the last 7 years. Perfect little car for a guy like me looking for a reliable economical commuter. 36- 38 mpg on 50 mile round trip commute. 2- 3 times a year I travel to Tennessee and I always get 41-43 mpg on the trip, traveling 75-80 mph. That makes me happy, has been fairly trouble- free. Shop been saying for the last 3- 4 years that the front struts need to be replaced, but way too expensive, letting it go for now. Had to have the thermal protector for the a/c compressor replaced, wasn't too expensive. Front brakes done last year, rear brakes still pass inspection. Due for the 110k timing belt replace ($$$) : ( but overall a great car!

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage, overall reliability, good in Northeast snow. Great trunk space (my wife used to take my car shopping instead of the '02 Voyager we had !)

Suggested Improvements

Never cared for the Grade Logic aspect of the tranny, will not upshift to high when going uphill, even when traveling fast enough that the engine power would pull it. Annoying when accelerating to 55+ up a long hill and it stays in 4th with RPM up over 3400 for no reason. Upshift already! sheesh!

Good car
By manfrombklyn23

2003 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Great car! After 7 years of owning this car, I have only replaced the struts, mirrors, gas cap lid cable, change draw spring and replaced washers underneath driver seat to stop it from rocking back and forth. Besides that I have done 1 tune up, change tires twice and the obvious oil changes. I figure thats all pretty normal stuff considering I am at 93,000 miles. This car has never stalled out, overheated or not started up. I would def purchase a Honda again.

Love it still
By civic man

2003 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I got my 03 civic in may of 03. My car now has 145,000 miles on it and the only thing I have done is change the tires, brakes, and batt. The power lock does not lock my driver door anymore but not to worried about that. I still get about 32 mpg in town and 40 on the road. I could not ask for a better first car, after 7 years I would not even think of trading it. Amazing car!

Favorite Features

MPG, the blue dash lights

Suggested Improvements

the only thing I could ask for is a AUX plug for my Iphone, but in 03 MP3 players were not that common.

Still running with new parts
By Bigtaka1

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my civic used in 2005 with 37K miles and now have 158K. I have been a stickler with scheduled maintenance and have averaged between 33 and 38 mpg. I go on long drives once a month and it does well, but the seats are uncomfortable and you feel every pebble and crack and on the road. I replaced the ignition coils at 120K, the clutch at 153K and the head gasket replaced at 155K, which was hard to diagnose as the symptoms lead you to think the issue is elsewhere (overheating and heater malfunctioning), and the dealership was clueless. Otherwise it has been good to me. I would recommend buying this car, but if the miles are high look for one with new head gasket!

Favorite Features

fuel economy, sporty

Suggested Improvements

more comfortable seats and a more durable engine!