2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great Car
By Alex on 05/02/09 08:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Good gas mileage. With K&N Oil Filter and Castrol Syntec getting 35mpg at 70mph on 87 regular gas. At 55-65mph nearly 40 or higher mpg. Like the cluster gauge comparing to the the 2002 Honda Civic Ex or older.

All right at first
By zach on 05/01/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car was all right at first, just a little vibration due to a loose motor mount. The transmission went out 5 months later and it's broken beyond repair is what I was told. It'll total 3 grand for a new one and I need to shell out cash for worn left and right bushings, a leaky cv boot, and a new motor mount. Don't bother buying unless you can get it from dealer under warranty.

Long live the si
By si lover on 03/29/09 08:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great! I've driven it for a few years now and I'm ready to buy a new one. The handling is great on cornering with the right tires. Acceleration isn't amazing, but hey it's a 4 banger. The only complaint is the cost to repair. Nobody has parts and most people don't even know what kind of car it is. If you're a young kid and you want something with low maintenance and fun to drive this is it. Or if you live in a city it's so easy to park. Great little car! Owning this car has made my wife and I Honda enthusiasts.

My Little Honda!!
By Angie-lou on 03/22/09 12:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Little Honda and I have been on several road trips together and we have both survived!! She is a beauty and she is fun to drive. Her small size and get up and go helps me maneuver in and out of traffic very efficiently. Right now, she is at about 120,000 and is doing great!!

Great on gas & safety, poor quality
By eric on 03/13/09 07:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most uncomfortable car on the market; the seats are small and hard. The arm rests are rock hard. I've run into many quality issues such as the body metal is so thin, it wrinkles and dents almost if a bug hit it.

Transmission Overhaul Needed at 78k
By kmn on 03/12/09 12:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had any problems with this car until last month. The automatic transmission started slipping from 3rd to 4th gear and needs a complete overhaul. My car only has 78k miles on it. There is no way it should need a new transmission. The estimate I got from the dealership was around $3000. Stay away from the 2003 Civic! From what I've read, this isn't an isolated incident.

Transmission!
By Cyndee on 03/10/09 08:30 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2003 brand new and most of my mileage was freeway for 4 of the 6 years. Positives: Mileage 38 mpg town and over 45 Hwy. Fun and zippy Negatives: Transmission at 90m bad noise and at 110 embarrassing. It's said to be a Civic problem avg. at 120m. Heater vents above stereo. In the winter with loud music blew 4 different Honda stereos before they put a Pioneer in for me. Replaced catalytic at 60m. Trunk leaked from day 1 under trunk and they never found it. Thank God I'm in So.Cal. I have had a bad time with my Honda, but still loved it. I can say I will not buy another when it finally dies!

Great small car for the familiy
By AZSooner on 03/06/09 18:58 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since Feb 2003. I currently have about 99,300 miles on the car and it is still running strong. Things I like about the car: peppy 4 cylinder with great fuel economy (I am getting about 32 mpg city/35 mpg hwy), plenty of room for a family of 4, low maintenance costs (I change the oil myself every 5,000 miles and take the car in for service every 15,000), and go cart handling. Things that need improvement: Paint scratches easy and seat's a little hard and short on leg support. I have noticed slight hesitation in the transmission, but only on cool mornings and only for the first few minutes (I guess the fluid needs to be warmed up).

This car made me a huge Honda fan!
By AZSoonerfan on 02/20/09 13:07 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Civic EX sedan new in Feb. 2003. 6 years later it has just under 100,000 miles and is running strong. I change the oil myself every 5,000 miles and take it in for service every 15,000. The only issue I ever had with the car is that the front seat now slightly rocks back and forth. I guess this is a common problem, but a cheap fix with some new bushings and you are good as new. The build quality of the car is outstanding. Hondas are known for a somewhat loud cabin, but the performance and handling are superior to Toyota or Nissan (and I have driven a Corolla and a Sentra to compare). I am still getting about 33 mpg in the city and about 36 hwy.

Decent Commuter
By frj on 12/30/08 04:16 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Civic has been extremely reliable and gets great gas mileage (around 33mpg average in mixed driving). Honda dealers are also nice to work with after purchase for in-warranty and out of warranty service.