Used 2003 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Decent Commuter
By frj

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Civic has been extremely reliable and gets great gas mileage (around 33mpg average in mixed driving). Honda dealers are also nice to work with after purchase for in-warranty and out of warranty service.

Favorite Features

Illuminated dash, fuel economy, nice looking for a compact car.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint job, better A/C, stock radio/cd was awful for the top trim (EX), front wheels often spin when accelerating from a stop on wet pavement even after replacing tires.

What Happened To Honda?
By gliattitd

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002 and it has been very reliable until it hit 100,000 miles. The transmission slips terribly, I took it to a service station and had it flushed thinking that would help but no such luck. The service manager said he's seen several Hondas with bad transmissions lately. My first Honda was good for 180,000 miles, died when I wrapped it around a pole.That's why I bought another one. But this one's transmission started acting up as soon as it hit 100,000 miles. What happened to you, Honda?

Favorite Features

Easy on gas, zippy, very cute and I love the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger window motor replaced twice & is acting up again. Work on transmissions & window motors. Glue that holds upholstery to your door would be nice. Mostly work on that TRANSMISSION!

It's OK but some issues
By gliattitd

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The car has been very reliable. I have had to replace the driver's side window motor twice now, I hear others have this issue as well. Like some of the other reviewers, min is at 99,000 miles and my transmission is starting to act funny. I hope I don't have to replace like they did!

Favorite Features

35 mpg isn't too shabby, love the radio, motorized side mirrors are very helpful when annoying guy gets behind you, tight radius is great, pretty reliable transportation

Suggested Improvements

Window motor on drivers side, transmission, including me 3 people w/Civic have prob w/upholstery on back doors coming loose, shifter light shorts out. Drivers seat is uncomfortable for long period driving, give us some lumbar and some leg space.

2003 Honda Civic LX 4dr 5spd
By 2003 Civic LX 4dr

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car 5 months ago and basically love it. I've had no problems with it thus far, and have adjusted my driving habits to pull in an average of 43 mpg (40 city, 47 hwy). Recommended car for anyone.

Favorite Features

Blue dash lights, interior design, and fun to drive. and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

easily scratched, gotta do something to fix that...

Very Reliable For Me
By GBradburn

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Have had the car now for over 5 years; over 80K miles. No mechanical problems at all and fairly good gas mileage. I bought this car for the gas mileage, easy to park/maneuver in city traffic, and it's reliability. All three held true. Needs just a little bit more room for those drivers over 6 feet tall.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, exterior look, and performance.

Suggested Improvements

A little bit more leg room for the driver... otherwise not much else.