2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Love my Honda!
By RMartinez717 on 11/09/09 15:53 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Well I had my 2003 Honda civic for about 4 or 5 months now and I have to say I am very glad I decided to go with a Honda for my first car. Not only is it dependable and of a high quality, it's not overpriced and has great fuel economy so I could do what I love best and drive wherever I please without constant stops to the gas pump. I look forward to driving my car ever time it's tons of fun and sporty! And I've only had to do an oil change, new air filters and spark plugs since I got it cuz I don't know how the other owner took care of the car but so far seems he did ok.

You can do better for the money
By JohnnyK on 11/03/09 21:47 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

My 1987 Civic was a much better car: better MPG, rode smoother, was much quieter, had better ventilation through the dash and had more comfortable seats. This car is loud on the road (and I've had two sets of tires - my Jeep was quieter!). I can't stand how this thing locks itself even after opening the trunk, and the seats are more sporty than comfy. The stereo is nice. We just bought a 1986 Toyota pickup that rides better and is quieter as well. I'm trading this car in for a Camry or a Mercury Grand Marquis. Never again will I buy a Civic. Sure, it's reliable, but so are most cars these days. My friend's Accord, not much better. Sorry Honda.

Best choice in segment
By Jeromey on 11/03/09 17:48 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The car has been extremely reliable. No maintenance required except oil, tires, brakes over 7 years. Handles well, agile car, fun to drive with 5 speed manual. Holds value very well, thus probably best choice in the segment.

Baby has been WONDERFUL!
By LadyD on 09/30/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought her brand new on the last day of February. She has been great to me ever since. We did have an issue with her being an overachiever when they had to do the computer recall (accepted 115% programming when she was to only accept 100% and blew the computer). I have taken her to the dealer religiously for all of her scheduled maintenance and had until recently a set of Arizonian tires on her which helped me get better gas mileage yet caused the tires to wear quicker (what do you want in AZ?) I now have a set of Michelin tires which has caused her to have a bit of decreased gas efficiency. I have been averaging anywhere from 28 to 52 mpg. Never giving her up!

Great Car But Has Transmission Issues
By tinkbot on 08/12/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2003 Civic and currently have 83,000 miles on it. I do all maintenance and oil changes as recommended in the owners manual. About 6 months ago I noticed the automatic transmission was having problems shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and from 3rd to 4th. Transmission is now having major issues accelerating and going over 60 mph. My mechanic says the transmission is slowly dying and has to be replaced. Cost will be around $3,000. WHAT!?! This car is only 6 years old. A transmission shouldn't have to be replaced before 150,000+ miles and especially not on a Honda. Honda what's happened to you? Buyer beware!

Great, Reliable Hybrid
By Radar on 08/06/09 13:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought my Civic Hybrid new, and after six years have put in almost 89,000 miles. The mileage is great: I average 42-44 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving, and on long freeway trips I often get my mileage up to 51 mpg or better. I have only had two issues with the car so far: 1. The chrome covering on the door handles started peeling off and have cut my fingers on it a couple times. 2. In the last 6 months the car has started shuddering when I take off from a stop- -a common problem in Honda sedans from this year I hear? Still, the mileage is great and it has been otherwise very reliable. I'm keeping this for one more year, and seriously considering a new one to replace it again.

165,000 mile review
By abigcess on 07/30/09 05:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

i purchased it new back in '03. i now have a little over 175,000 miles on it. it's been the most dependable car. i still drive it hard... dirt roads, 120 degree heat, 1200 mile trips in 8 yrs. few yrs ago, i was rear-ended on the freeway resulting in some extensive damage, but still runs strong despite virtually no maintenance work on it.. so far, I've changed brake pads once, spark plugs once, air filter twice, and last few times, I've gone over 9000 miles between oil changes. haven't done any tune ups, alignment, radiator flushes, or clutch work done yet. I'm averaging 32-34 miles with 70/30 city/freeway driving.

CVT transmission - Good luck
By Unhappy customer on 07/27/09 10:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Transmission died on a busy highway at 34K almost killed myself trying to get off the road. Honda had it for 12 days saying it needed a new trans and then gave it back saying nothing was wrong. Had it in again at 36K 50K 61K 81K and finally at 110k brought it in for a oil change and they finally checked my mileage saw I was over 100k and admitted something was wrong with the slipping transmission. Honda Care could care less and the case manager told me they weren't willing to pay a dime for the $4600 trans the dealership said they would take 10% off for my trouble. This car should have been recalled day one. Please don't buy this car. It is a danger to drive. I have some advice sell it quickly.

No complaints
By PA commuter on 07/18/09 19:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Sorry to hear about all the transmission problems. I have 83k on mine and no signs of auto tranny slippage. Averaging 35mpg city and 40+ highway. I've found that if you drive above 70 on the highway, mpg declines dramatically. Bought the extended warranty in august of 2003 and never used it. Only complaint is that I'm replacing the brake pads every 25k miles without intensive use.

Transmission/Clutch Recall Info
By ACRUMP on 07/17/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

There was a recall on the transmission (Judder Slippage - the car rumbles when accelerating, esp noticeable going uphill). According to protocol, they have to do this "burnishing procedure" 3 times, at which point they will replace the entire clutch on your transmission (for free, under the recall). You also need to be under 100K mi to be eligible. My car is at 98K....they're just about to replace my clutch, so I'm very excited about that. Other than this one issue, my car has been running perfectly. I've been keeping track of MPG for over 10K, and I'm averaging 46.5 MPG. I'm absolutely thrilled (and confused that some people claim to get only 35 MPG).