2003 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Lease turn in
By Gregg on 03/01/07 13:04 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Almost immediately upon delivery, I noticed I would get shocked when I would put the key in the door or touch the car. It was serviced under warranty twice; the shocks continued for the duration of my four year lease. I experienced no mechanical problems. But I did have to replace the original tires at 17,200 miles for wear. This was unexpected and costly! I drive less than 10,000 miles annually. My Civic was a comfortable drive even on long trips. It was roomy and had plenty of cargo space. It could have done better on gas in city driving. My only criticism, other than the tires, was that body was easily dented by shopping carts and I cracked the rear bumper on an snow bank.

so far so good
By lynne on 02/13/07 20:13 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

bought brand new, have had only minor issues. check engine light came on for no reason and would not go off, fuel filler door cable broke (2 days in the shop, covered by warranty), most recently (around 30-35K) it started making loud clunking noises when switching gears (auto transmission). had transmission fluid changed, seemed to help a little, but not by a lot. still takes a bit to get into gear and makes a noise, which makes me want to get rid of it before something happens. dealership says there is "nothing wrong"...? also, have had 4 flats in as many years. overall, recommended, but be ready for trans probs. also, body seems very easily dented and scratched, this has cost $$$$$$$

Disappointed
By cardriver on 01/30/07 12:54 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car while commuting to college and work daily. MPG and cost were the determining factors in purchase. The engine, apart from VERY loud revs, is just fine. It has no problem getting to 80-90 MPH and going steady. My major and only real issue with the car is the interior. For short trips (i.e. test drive) the interior is just fine. Get past 20 minutes in the car and you're ready to kill yourself. The seats are rock hard and HURT the back over time. The cup holder is awkwardly positioned behind the shifter, the radio is too far to reach while sitting back and the car lacks an armrest all together. Claims of high MPG are lies; rarely over 25 MPG on street w/ highway

Excellent College Car
By huds1086 on 10/09/06 15:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Civic is fun to drive and has consistently achieved 30+ mpg. It has been extremely reliable; I've performed only routine maintenance. Two things deter from the cars overall greatness. The rear suspension bounces more than I think it should and there is a lot of road noise on the highway. The Civic's faults however, are few and I've never regretted the decision to buy a Honda.

Love It!!!
By Amber on 08/10/06 15:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

i love my Honda its great on gas and its nice for long trips.

03 LX sedan
By dalaw on 08/10/06 02:35 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new in Oct 2002. I was looking for the clearance 2002 but liked the 03 a lot more. I get plenty of compliments for the cool-blue LED gauges; even a guard at a security check point gave compliments. I get about 32 mpg average in mixed driving but highway mileage easily gets close to 40 mpg if you drive around the speed limit. Low-speed ride can get harsh and the stock suspension is tuned all wrong. The front suspension is soft but the rear is stiff and bouncy, especially going over speed bumps. I am going to have to change out the shocks ASAP. Highway ride is stable and the car feels solid at speeds, however. Oil filter is located in the worst place, ever.

Love it!
By Kat on 02/11/06 17:25 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my very first car as I am a new driver. I've been driving it for a month now and I love everything about it except for the tires. The EX model is equipped with cheap firestone tires that don't do well in snow. I recomend it to other young drivers especially because it's easy to drive, comfortable, great gas mileage, and quiet.

Problems Honda Civic Transmissions
By b2cmu on 11/08/05 09:07 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Honda Civic LX was a great car until 60,000 miles. It began to shake as if riding on rumple strip before toll booth. I took it into dealer, who said could find nothing. I took it in a second time when they heard problem and changed transmission fluid. I have now been told there is a honda advisory about transmission problems on all Civics which is coming to light and of great concern as they have no fix. I finally got dealer to admit to problem, still in the shop

Excellent
By LUV2ACCEL8 on 10/12/05 18:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car, this was my first Civic much improved design since the '99 model. Roomy interior and trunk. Never had any mechanical or elctrical problems. Gas mileage although listed as 30/38, in reality if you drive in the city do not expect 25-28 even with slow takeoff from red light, although its hard to judge because I always have AC on, which drains gas a lot. Interior materials are pretty good for its price, however would strongly recommend getting the after-market leather package.

Great buy
By DjY887 on 09/13/05 23:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased mine in Aug 2004 with only 3400 miles on it. Excellent choice for my 40 mile highway commute. I'm seeing a steady 38 mpg. Very happy to find a car w/o AC or electric windows..always a costly maintenance issue. Excellent build quality inside and out. Fun to drive. I gave up the utility of a Ford Ranger for the economy and reliability..absolutley no regrets. I would like to see the sedan get the HX package