Used 2003 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Most Helpful|
Adequate Car for the initial cost
By hardfire454

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have never been one to be impressed by Hondas, but this hybrid was in my price range so I bought it. Overall, it was cheap in every way, you get what you pay for. This car on various occasions wouldn't start, so I'd wait a half hour, and it would start. This is by far the most uncomfortable car that I have ever owned, the battery was just replaced for free by the dealer. The car's transmissin also has needed expensive repairs many times. If you need good mileage, and don't have any money, this is the car for you.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, Comfort, exterior styling, better warrenty.

Honda Civic Hybrid has Flaws
By mwollman

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I purchased the Honda Civic Hybrid because I thought it would be reliable and get outstanding fuel economy. I was sorely disappointed. Instead of getting the 48 MPG as advertized, I never get more than 38 MPG, even under gentle driving conditions. The undercarriage protective plate is made of cheap plastic, instead of steel as on conventional cars. This plate falls off under normal driving conditions at a cost of $65, which is not covered under the warranty. Dearler customer service is poor. I do not recommend this car.

Favorite Features

The engine turns off at stoplights.

Suggested Improvements

Truth in advertizing on fuel economy. Honda's numbers border on fraud. Replace the plastic undercarriage plate with a steel one. Improve customer service.

Honda
By jim smith

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

transmission blew up after the first week i had it. Absolutely the worst car I have ever owned. Truely a lemon.

8 months and 3 transmissions
By Karen Hull

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving mini vans and other "family cars", it was nice to drive a small vehicle. I was looking for a car for commuting 100 miles per day. The Honda Hybrid seemed to fit the criteria. To date, I have had three transmissions and the third transmission is causing problems. If Honda could fix this car, I would like it much more. I don't think Honda is willing to work with me. I have had trouble with the dealership and the Honda company. I want a dependable car that doesn't spend every 3rd month in the shop.

Favorite Features

Personally, I like the limited options. Main vehicle to commute. Didn't want too many options. Enjoy a car that has a CD player. I think I am getting the expected mileage (when the car is working properly).

Suggested Improvements

Find the problem with the whining sound that has caused my transmission to be replaced 3 times in eight months. The interior lights are nice but impossible to read when have lights on during the day. I WANT DEPENDABILITY. I have been disappointed with my first "foreign" car.

Lacks power
By HoTpunksk8ter101

2003 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car is without a doubt is a fun car to drive, but it lacks power like some of Honda's other models (such the '02 S2000) but I guess what can you expect when you get a car like this for under $13,999...over all I give it a rating of 4.5 out of 10.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

It needs just a little bit more HP, You need to upgrade the stereo system, and maybe you should make an optional choice for the buyer a “young adult style” it will have optional racing style rims, and a rear spoiler of some sort...