Used 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Status Report- 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid After 200K
By auburngbb

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Total 2003 HCH Cost- HW Items purchased from 79k to 200k miles as follows: 2 sets of tires 1 speed sensor (drove thru deep puddle) 1 set of spark plugs 1 set of ft brake pads 1 fuel filter Fluid change maintenance from 79K to 200k miles as follows: * Several 0-20W/0-30W oil/filter changes (8k mile intervals) * Two CVT fluid changes noting I assumed to change oil every 100K miles until I noticed the transmission was slipping and read my OEM operators manual stating to change trans. oil every 30K. After changing the oil the first time THE TRANSMISSION QUIT SLIPPING and I make sure to change this fluid at recommended intervals. * One Antifreeze change Car runs good(mildly abused)

Dash MPG indicator, arm rest, & CVT smooth acceleration.

Design a CVT that doesn't require such a frequent oil change.

Adequate Car for the initial cost
By hardfire454

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have never been one to be impressed by Hondas, but this hybrid was in my price range so I bought it. Overall, it was cheap in every way, you get what you pay for. This car on various occasions wouldn't start, so I'd wait a half hour, and it would start. This is by far the most uncomfortable car that I have ever owned, the battery was just replaced for free by the dealer. The car's transmissin also has needed expensive repairs many times. If you need good mileage, and don't have any money, this is the car for you.

Fuel economy, interior design.

Reliability, Comfort, exterior styling, better warrenty.

Beware: Battery goes right after warranty
By formerhondafan

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just a warning to those looking at this car. I bought in 2002 (2003 model) and have been the only owner for just over 8 years. Five months past the warranty, the battery failed and now I have to pay $3000 to have it replaced. The car has less that 80,000 miles, but because I've owned it over eight years, the warranty has expired. This is simply too much of an expense to be reasonable or fair. It certainly doesn't justify the gas savings. I am very disappointed in Honda and will not buy another one, because of this experience.

I was very pleased with this car, until the battery failed.

I think that a $3,000 expense to replace a battery is WAY too much.

A Convert
By Lockemup

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently purchased a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid, though I had to get rid of my ever so fun to drive G35 the car is remarkable with respect to fuel efficiency. The layout of the car is simple, just like all Hondas. The power is on the low side, but lets face, we buy these cars for one reason and that's fuel economy. I wouldn't care if I had to get out and push the car up a hill (which it almost seems like I have to do living in Upstate NY), as long as I'm getting my 50 MPG let every other car pass me on the road. I'm purchasing a new set of Cooper GFE (LRR) tires and I'm hoping to eek out a few more MPG.

The one thing I find interesting is when the IMA system is engaged the estimate fuel economy drops. I would expect that when the electric motor kicks in the fuel economy would increase similar to other hybrids.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By jmharrell

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ditched the car as soon as I found someone to take it. Transmission went at 30,000 miles, and started to go again at 60,000. Honda was only willing to help until 75,000 and then I would be responsible for each $4,000 transmission replacement. Only got 37 mpg because it didn't have the power to maintain higher freeway speeds in rural areas above 75 mph whereas my now regular civic gets 40-50 at those speeds. Avoid at all costs!

Driving it off a cliff or giving it to your local bomb squad for testing