2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
great little car
By PMF on 05/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

We like this car a lot. It is extremely thrifty on gas -- we averaged well over 55 m.p.g. highway, and have averaged 46-47 in the city. We've owned it about 6 weeks, and have had no mechanical problems.

Environment- and human-friendly
By chrislee on 05/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In 99% of my driving it's hard to believe I'm driving a hybrid. My decision to buy it was partially influenced by New York State's $4000 incentive tax bonus, but I think I would have bought the hybrid anyway. It could use more horsepower on the highway, but I'm not a speeder so I'm very happy with its performance.

acihybrid
By aceberg on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car handles very well and is fun to drive. I love listening to the sound of silence when it goes into auto-stop mode. Rapid acceleration in drive was only fair. Finish is typical Honda, excellent. So far I would buy it again.

A truly different driving experience
By VikeKen on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car produces a different ethic to driving. Many cars talk about creating a different "driving experience," however, the Honda Civic Hybrid truly creates a new way of thinking about driving. I feel more in tune with how my car operates as I continually look at the IMA gauge to see it charge the batteries or assist the gas engine. I pay more attention to details like road noise and my driving speed. Although I can see some drop off in performance at higher speeds, it is entirely workable as the price of the new experience in driving.

Hybrid Man
By Brazzy on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Auto Stop feature is difficult to get used to. The car is comfortable, beautiful and reliable. It's also very spacious.

Not too bad
By Chris001 on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had it for almost week. All controls are easy to reach and use while driving, nice cup holders and storage. Adequate power off the line and passing. Handling is responsive and comfortable, the brakes are touchy. Auto-stop is nice when at a drive through (easier to hear and talk with the people for ordering, etc) Adequate sound system. Easy to install child seats into it. Minimum of wind and road noise. Fuel economy on my first tank of gas was only 37-40mpg highway (I commute 110 miles a day, so it was dissapointing) I refilled the gas tank, my trip odometer read 466 miles and 40.4 mpg, I put in 12.4 gallons which calculated to 37mpg.

Highly Recommended
By Mehran on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a 90 miles a day commute, so I just hit 1000 miles.I got a CVT for 18,500.If you are trying to go from 0 to 60 in 5 sec,don't read any further.This car has ample power.I pass easily at 65,drive comfortabley at 65- 80 mph,get into and out off the hwy easily.I am getting an average of 48 mpg.It has a better pickup than my Golf.Don't like the placement of the radio,crouise control,side miror control,&power window buttons.The radio sound is OK.The environmental controls are cool and efficient.Interior is great and comfortable.Overall this has been a great car and smart investment.If you're in the marker, I highly recommend it.

What a Car!
By MichaelP on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

We thought a "green" car would be like driving a golf cart. Honda has really impressed us. The car has plenty of pep, is quiet and handles well. Good sound system with CD player standard. Plenty of trunk space, and no, you don't have to plug it in. We're averaging 45 mpg! We regret that Honda did not have a better selection of colors (only white, blue and silver) because if they had better alternatives, we would have bought two cars!

Zippy and Frugal - give it a shot.
By Daniel-May on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's a hybrid car that can easily get over 40mpg in real world driving. I can get 44+ depending on how well I drive. You need to anticipate the road ahead to maximize the mileage. It's exponential - the more good things you do, the better your mileage gets. If you get in a tough spot - limited access on ramps or other tight merging situations, just drop the shifter into 's' and floor it. The electric assist kicks in and you take off. It just seems slow because it never shifts - CVTs have no set gears. It's always smooth. And in stop-and-go, the engine will shut off when the car stop, so you waste less gas.

The more I drive it, the more I like it
By pablo on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the Hybrid and how seemless the IMA works. The more I drive the car, the more I enjoy it. It is especially quiet and once you get used to the CVT and the fact that the engine dies at stops, it feels/drives like a typical car