Used 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid still great fun
By P.Reichlin

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 18 months and 44,000 miles with my 2003 Civic Hybrid 4 door with CV transmission, I still remain happy and enthusiastic about it's design, construction, handling, enviornmental attributes, and of course wonderful fuel economy, and no, I don,t work for Honda. My overall mpg is slightly over 51 mpg. My best milage for 150 miles is over 60 mpg, and best ever is 76 mpg for 15 miles. I drove at posted speed limits, but was prudent. I have not yet tired of the satisfaction of being able to drive over 600 miles before getting a low fuel indication. In short, I continue to be quite satisfied with my decision and purchase, and would do it again!

Favorite Features

High MPG and satisfaction of driving a green machine. Well designed & easy to use security/anti-theft system. The CVTrans. is great in traffic and optimizes torque/performance and MPG.

Suggested Improvements

None for this size vehicle, but choice of a slightly larger hybrid vehicle would be welcome, perhaps with AWD.

5000 miles in, this is great!
By Harmsy

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is a great car. Expensive, but it's worth it. It looks as if it has something meaty under the bonnet. People ask me how big its engine is, and get confused when I say 1.3 litres! Then you mention the 10kW electric motor, and they get even more confused - amazed is better.

Favorite Features

Auto-stop is great. But the best thing is the green LEDs when you're recharging.

Suggested Improvements

The ventilation seems to have trouble clearing the screen when it mists up in English weather.

One Step Forward
By DigiDragon

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I own the "cvt" or automatic version of the Hybrid. Its very quiet except for road noise. Friends have been impressed and geeked out by the "click-start" and the semi-digital,indigo dash (especially the battery meters). I average 42MPG. Excellent sound system and room for adding power points.

Favorite Features

The auto-shutoff feature. Great for saving those few extra drops of gasoline when the car is at a standstill.

Suggested Improvements

Something needs to be done about the excessive drain the A/C has on fuel economy, and the digital fuel gage could use a little tweaking to be a little more accurate (percentages, maybe?)

I LOVE THIS CAR
By ErikaS

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Civic Hybrid in August and I couldn't be happier. It is so much fun to drive and the fuel efficiency is wonderful! I would reccomend the car to anyone looking for a sporty, yet practical car that will save you lots of money in gas!

Favorite Features

The green light that tells me when my battery is recharging itself.

Suggested Improvements

The ONLY thing I dislike is that the cruise control, rear defogger, and power miror controls are to the left of the steering wheel and almost impossible to access in the dark, they are hard to reach and hard to see!

great car/poor mileage
By fueler

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This a great car! Very comfortable, very responsive. My only complaint is the mileage. 36MPG with CVT with 4,500 miles on the odometer.Dealer says it will improve after 5,000miles. I could have bought a Civic LX for $5,000 less and got the same mileage!

Favorite Features

The auto stop feature still amazes me. The dash display is really fun to watch to see what your current MPG is.

Suggested Improvements

To be able to lock and unlock the doors from the passenger side. To have the headlights auto turn off after the car is turned off.