Used 2003 Honda Civic EX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

93,000 miles and counting
By UncleTurbo

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Civic new with the intention of keeping it until either it goes or I go whichever comes first. I was just short of 55 at the time and in very good health so I wanted a car with staying power, that was sporty, fun, and economical. So far, perfect choice. The Civic delivers super gas mpg, I get over 40 mpg on expressway trips and always over 30 mpg, and generally average 35 mpg. No repair issues; one strut replaced under warranty ages ago, front brakes at 75K miles, and otherwise regular maint. Handles great, VTec motors hits with more power above 3,500 rpm, a budget sports car. It can take 4 people anywhere in comfort with their luggage. Just a practical and enjoyable car.

Favorite Features

It has a big trunk for a small car, seats are comfy. Shifter has good positive feel with tight sporty throw to next gear. Good paint that still shines, easy to clean interior, rear folding seats come in handy. Good room for rear seat passengers. Bullet proof reliability. Very few repairs.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound deadening from road noise, make sure to select tires that are "quiet". Original tires were lousy and lasted only 23K miles. Michelin replacements just now worn out after 70K miles. A six speed trans with another higher overdrive gear for better highway mpg and lower rpm at 70 mph.

Best choice in segment
By Jeromey

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The car has been extremely reliable. No maintenance required except oil, tires, brakes over 7 years. Handles well, agile car, fun to drive with 5 speed manual. Holds value very well, thus probably best choice in the segment.

Favorite Features

Slick shifting, driving with sunroof open, reliability.

Great Car But Has Transmission Issues
By tinkbot

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2003 Civic and currently have 83,000 miles on it. I do all maintenance and oil changes as recommended in the owners manual. About 6 months ago I noticed the automatic transmission was having problems shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and from 3rd to 4th. Transmission is now having major issues accelerating and going over 60 mph. My mechanic says the transmission is slowly dying and has to be replaced. Cost will be around $3,000. WHAT!?! This car is only 6 years old. A transmission shouldn't have to be replaced before 150,000+ miles and especially not on a Honda. Honda what's happened to you? Buyer beware!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, purple dash lights, moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

Honda needs to stand behind the multiple transmission complaints on the 2001 and 2003 models and issue a recall/replacement. Address and fix the problems Honda or my next car will be a Toyota.

My Little Honda!!
By Angie-lou

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Little Honda and I have been on several road trips together and we have both survived!! She is a beauty and she is fun to drive. Her small size and get up and go helps me maneuver in and out of traffic very efficiently. Right now, she is at about 120,000 and is doing great!!

Favorite Features

my sunroof is wonderful and the interior dash lights. They are blue and everyone that sees them comments about them.

Suggested Improvements

a softer and more plush driver's seat.

Great on gas & safety, poor quality
By eric

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most uncomfortable car on the market; the seats are small and hard. The arm rests are rock hard. I've run into many quality issues such as the body metal is so thin, it wrinkles and dents almost if a bug hit it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and safety rating.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats please!