Used 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best Car Owned
By crdavis

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Bought new in 2003 and never had to replace a thing other that a couple headlights, main starting battery. Has 250K miles on it and finally the IMA has an issue, but still drives great without it! Someone rear ended me the other day, totaled his car, but only scratched my rear bumber.

Favorite Features

lasted 250K and still going!

Baby has been WONDERFUL!
By LadyD

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought her brand new on the last day of February. She has been great to me ever since. We did have an issue with her being an overachiever when they had to do the computer recall (accepted 115% programming when she was to only accept 100% and blew the computer). I have taken her to the dealer religiously for all of her scheduled maintenance and had until recently a set of Arizonian tires on her which helped me get better gas mileage yet caused the tires to wear quicker (what do you want in AZ?) I now have a set of Michelin tires which has caused her to have a bit of decreased gas efficiency. I have been averaging anywhere from 28 to 52 mpg. Never giving her up!

Favorite Features

Gas economy, great lil get up and go.

Suggested Improvements

lights (mine got cloudy but I think this is because I live in AZ)

Great, Reliable Hybrid
By Radar

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought my Civic Hybrid new, and after six years have put in almost 89,000 miles. The mileage is great: I average 42-44 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving, and on long freeway trips I often get my mileage up to 51 mpg or better. I have only had two issues with the car so far: 1. The chrome covering on the door handles started peeling off and have cut my fingers on it a couple times. 2. In the last 6 months the car has started shuddering when I take off from a stop- -a common problem in Honda sedans from this year I hear? Still, the mileage is great and it has been otherwise very reliable. I'm keeping this for one more year, and seriously considering a new one to replace it again.

Favorite Features

Great mileage; it looks like a real car; great stereo system for my needs; comfortable, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

More durable chrome on the handles; move the battery to a different place so the back seat can fold down; tranny issues?

CVT transmission - Good luck
By Unhappy customer

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Transmission died on a busy highway at 34K almost killed myself trying to get off the road. Honda had it for 12 days saying it needed a new trans and then gave it back saying nothing was wrong. Had it in again at 36K 50K 61K 81K and finally at 110k brought it in for a oil change and they finally checked my mileage saw I was over 100k and admitted something was wrong with the slipping transmission. Honda Care could care less and the case manager told me they weren't willing to pay a dime for the $4600 trans the dealership said they would take 10% off for my trouble. This car should have been recalled day one. Please don't buy this car. It is a danger to drive. I have some advice sell it quickly.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the transmission with one that works.

Transmission/Clutch Recall Info
By ACRUMP

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

There was a recall on the transmission (Judder Slippage - the car rumbles when accelerating, esp noticeable going uphill). According to protocol, they have to do this "burnishing procedure" 3 times, at which point they will replace the entire clutch on your transmission (for free, under the recall). You also need to be under 100K mi to be eligible. My car is at 98K....they're just about to replace my clutch, so I'm very excited about that. Other than this one issue, my car has been running perfectly. I've been keeping track of MPG for over 10K, and I'm averaging 46.5 MPG. I'm absolutely thrilled (and confused that some people claim to get only 35 MPG).

Favorite Features

Avg MPG = 46.5 (for over 10K miles), AC works really well.

Suggested Improvements

Paint/plastic is chipping on my door handle (and becomes very sharp...I cut my hand opening it once).