2003 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Transmission!
By Cyndee on 03/10/09 08:30 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2003 brand new and most of my mileage was freeway for 4 of the 6 years. Positives: Mileage 38 mpg town and over 45 Hwy. Fun and zippy Negatives: Transmission at 90m bad noise and at 110 embarrassing. It's said to be a Civic problem avg. at 120m. Heater vents above stereo. In the winter with loud music blew 4 different Honda stereos before they put a Pioneer in for me. Replaced catalytic at 60m. Trunk leaked from day 1 under trunk and they never found it. Thank God I'm in So.Cal. I have had a bad time with my Honda, but still loved it. I can say I will not buy another when it finally dies!

No So Happy Anymore
By Used to like Honda on 06/05/06 06:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

While the engine and gas mileage are good on this car the rest of it is not up to typical Honda standards. Right after purchasing it the trunk was leaking due to a seam that wasn't welded properly. The little bit of metal that is used on the body is cheap- dents very easily. Had light bulbs burn out in less than a year. Original tires are cheap-had to replace after 2 years and that's with snow tires on at least 5 month/yr. At not quite 3 years old new shocks and brakes. Oh and my favorite the turn signal/4 way relay switch I believe it's called just died for no reason-replaced at my expensive of course. And now the cd player decided to stop working. It loads and ejects w/o a cd in it.

Best of both
By HappyHX on 12/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my HX Civic for a year now and I thank Honda for making such a great car for people who want to be environmentally friendly without sacrifice. The lean-burn V-tech engine is amazing in that it produces good power and the best gas mileage of any non-hybrid car in the U.S. You have to rev it up to get it to go, but it happily revs to redline and spins the front wheel in second gear. The transmission is silky smooth and I love the styling inside and out. And I saved $6k by not getting the hybrid. Smart car.

Love it
By asurfc2 on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This thing is gets as good of gas mileage as the Toyota Hybred and at $5000 less. not to mention it has a better look to it. A great buy if you want the hybred but can't quite afford it.

Economical (but slow and noisy) Honda
By V-10PowerBaby on 05/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Let's get one thing straight. I love Hondas. Not because I'm "on the bandwagon", but because I've owned five of them. Accords, Civics, and even a DOHC Del Sol. I have always been treated with the utmost respect by all of Honda's personnel, and the darn cars just refuse to break, no matter how hard I've pushed them (did I mention the 160+hp DOHC VTEC Del Sol?) My work commute suddenly grew to 35+mi. each way last Nov., so I had to trade the V-10 4X4 in on something, shall we say, more practical...and a whole lot more reliable.

Civic HX 5 speed/2003
By knarf on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Very poor engine performance. Primarily in 4th and 5th gear get a degree of engine hesitation, stumble and at times surge. Difficult to do maintain 60-65 on highway in top gear because of the total lack of throttle response. Have to depress throttle 1/2 way to floor before I hear engine tone change and feel any acceleration. Am getting 37-39 mpg, well below rated 44mpg on hiway where most of my commute is. Would appreciate any response or comment on this issue

pretty nice
By Fisher on 02/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

i just got the civic hx. so far it's been fun to drive, responds well, and is super smooth.