Used 2003 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Buy one for reliability
By carterpuma

2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I struggled with constant repairs on domestic cars for years before purchasing this car. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Bought at 47K miles in 2007 and now have 120K. In that time only ONE thing has ever gone wrong and that was a sensor that only cost $150. It just blows my mind how reliable this thing is. This car is such a smart choice and can be found for under $5K atm. Will be one of the best vehicle investments you ever make.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage 28-30mpg city/38-40 all highway in ohio weather, Reliable, great looks inside and out, strong resale value

Suggested Improvements

Underpowered, kind of loud, not the smoothest vehicle

best car i've ever owned, BY FAR
By thwipp89

2003 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

bought my EX automatic new in '03 and have 125k miles after 10 yrs. after having a few american cars that were unreliable money pits, this car has been spectacular for me. wish i would've bought a honda sooner than i did. over 10 yrs, i've spent about $1k in non-maintenance repairs- mostly emissions/exhaust related, most of which has been at the 10 yr mark. i did need to replace the alternator after about 9 yrs. i average 30 MPG combined (about 65% city) but i have a very heavy foot.

Favorite Features

reliability/dependability(!!!) MPG moonroof alloy rims value- i feel that i've more than got my money's worth from this car!! it's been virtually worry-free.

Suggested Improvements

a little more HP would've been nice (the new civics have 140 HP vs the 128 HP this one has) but i'm willing to sacrifice to get better MPG. the factory stereo SUCKED, so i got an aftermarket stereo and speakers right away. the seats could be more comfortable. there could be more/better placed cup holders. the auto trans hasn't always the smoothest/most consistent when shifting gears, which seems to be a potential issue with this model. i did start using lucas trans fix, which seems to have helped.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By techgromit

2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned my 2003 Honda Civic LX for 8 years now, it's given me the least amount of problems compared to every other car I ever owned. True it's also the first new car I ever owned, but I've has far more problems with other used cars with less mileage. Parts last longer than other cars I've owned, from tires, to struts to breaks, they all need to be replaced less often, at least that's been my experience. The transmission does slip a little when it cold out until the car is warmed up, replacing the transmission fluid twice did little to improve it, but so long as I let the car warm up before doing any drag races, it runs fine.

The way a Honda should be
By honda4311

2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

The seashore mist metallic coupe now has 120,000+ miles on it and still runs great. It uses a negligable amount of oil, and the oil stays clean between the changes. I just changed all of the belts, thermostat, plugs, brake rotors, and tires. The car runs like new except for a little belt screach when it's cold and/or wet. I'm really anticipating getting 200,000+ out of this car. My wife however, not so lucky. A 2002 Honda Accord SE with the same mileage riddled with oil consumption problems (1/2 quart week) and a transmission that is holding on for dear life.

Favorite Features

Easy to work on, great fit & finish, awesome gas mileage (ave. 34mpg). Everything I need, and nothing I don't.

Suggested Improvements

Not even going to say more power. I understand that power and fuel economy do not go hand-in-hand.

GREAT CAR
By texashonda

2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I think it's great. I bought a used 2003 4dr Lx with 119,000. And it works great and drives smooth...( Although I did notice my Transmisson stick was loose found out it was pretty common no biggy cost $15 at Honda.. **** I also feel a slight slip in the Trans but maybe im not use to it the Trans shifting ****

Favorite Features

Basic and all you need for a great price... A to B car...

Suggested Improvements

Make the Transmisson stronger to last longer...