2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
93,000 miles and counting
By UncleTurbo on 03/14/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Civic new with the intention of keeping it until either it goes or I go whichever comes first. I was just short of 55 at the time and in very good health so I wanted a car with staying power, that was sporty, fun, and economical. So far, perfect choice. The Civic delivers super gas mpg, I get over 40 mpg on expressway trips and always over 30 mpg, and generally average 35 mpg. No repair issues; one strut replaced under warranty ages ago, front brakes at 75K miles, and otherwise regular maint. Handles great, VTec motors hits with more power above 3,500 rpm, a budget sports car. It can take 4 people anywhere in comfort with their luggage. Just a practical and enjoyable car.

Best choice in segment
By Jeromey on 11/03/09 17:48 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The car has been extremely reliable. No maintenance required except oil, tires, brakes over 7 years. Handles well, agile car, fun to drive with 5 speed manual. Holds value very well, thus probably best choice in the segment.

Great Car But Has Transmission Issues
By tinkbot on 08/12/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2003 Civic and currently have 83,000 miles on it. I do all maintenance and oil changes as recommended in the owners manual. About 6 months ago I noticed the automatic transmission was having problems shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and from 3rd to 4th. Transmission is now having major issues accelerating and going over 60 mph. My mechanic says the transmission is slowly dying and has to be replaced. Cost will be around $3,000. WHAT!?! This car is only 6 years old. A transmission shouldn't have to be replaced before 150,000+ miles and especially not on a Honda. Honda what's happened to you? Buyer beware!

My Little Honda!!
By Angie-lou on 03/22/09 12:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Little Honda and I have been on several road trips together and we have both survived!! She is a beauty and she is fun to drive. Her small size and get up and go helps me maneuver in and out of traffic very efficiently. Right now, she is at about 120,000 and is doing great!!

Great on gas & safety, poor quality
By eric on 03/13/09 07:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most uncomfortable car on the market; the seats are small and hard. The arm rests are rock hard. I've run into many quality issues such as the body metal is so thin, it wrinkles and dents almost if a bug hit it.

Transmission Overhaul Needed at 78k
By kmn on 03/12/09 12:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had any problems with this car until last month. The automatic transmission started slipping from 3rd to 4th gear and needs a complete overhaul. My car only has 78k miles on it. There is no way it should need a new transmission. The estimate I got from the dealership was around $3000. Stay away from the 2003 Civic! From what I've read, this isn't an isolated incident.

Great small car for the familiy
By AZSooner on 03/06/09 18:58 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since Feb 2003. I currently have about 99,300 miles on the car and it is still running strong. Things I like about the car: peppy 4 cylinder with great fuel economy (I am getting about 32 mpg city/35 mpg hwy), plenty of room for a family of 4, low maintenance costs (I change the oil myself every 5,000 miles and take the car in for service every 15,000), and go cart handling. Things that need improvement: Paint scratches easy and seat's a little hard and short on leg support. I have noticed slight hesitation in the transmission, but only on cool mornings and only for the first few minutes (I guess the fluid needs to be warmed up).

This car made me a huge Honda fan!
By AZSoonerfan on 02/20/09 13:07 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Civic EX sedan new in Feb. 2003. 6 years later it has just under 100,000 miles and is running strong. I change the oil myself every 5,000 miles and take it in for service every 15,000. The only issue I ever had with the car is that the front seat now slightly rocks back and forth. I guess this is a common problem, but a cheap fix with some new bushings and you are good as new. The build quality of the car is outstanding. Hondas are known for a somewhat loud cabin, but the performance and handling are superior to Toyota or Nissan (and I have driven a Corolla and a Sentra to compare). I am still getting about 33 mpg in the city and about 36 hwy.

Decent Commuter
By frj on 12/30/08 04:16 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Civic has been extremely reliable and gets great gas mileage (around 33mpg average in mixed driving). Honda dealers are also nice to work with after purchase for in-warranty and out of warranty service.

What Happened To Honda?
By gliattitd on 12/05/08 18:11 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002 and it has been very reliable until it hit 100,000 miles. The transmission slips terribly, I took it to a service station and had it flushed thinking that would help but no such luck. The service manager said he's seen several Hondas with bad transmissions lately. My first Honda was good for 180,000 miles, died when I wrapped it around a pole.That's why I bought another one. But this one's transmission started acting up as soon as it hit 100,000 miles. What happened to you, Honda?