Used 2003 Honda Civic EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Watch Out For That Tranny
By Adam

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We take good care of our car. We put low miles on it every year. At 65,000 miles the transmission should not fail. To make it worse, Honda has no interest in making it right. Be very cautious when buying this car. There may not be many complaints about the '03 transmission now, but they're about to come of age. Do a search for '01 transmission problems and start saving for the impending rainy day. Don't say you weren't warned.

Love the moonroof. Great sound system.

Make a reliable transmission.

Still running with new parts
By Bigtaka1

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my civic used in 2005 with 37K miles and now have 158K. I have been a stickler with scheduled maintenance and have averaged between 33 and 38 mpg. I go on long drives once a month and it does well, but the seats are uncomfortable and you feel every pebble and crack and on the road. I replaced the ignition coils at 120K, the clutch at 153K and the head gasket replaced at 155K, which was hard to diagnose as the symptoms lead you to think the issue is elsewhere (overheating and heater malfunctioning), and the dealership was clueless. Otherwise it has been good to me. I would recommend buying this car, but if the miles are high look for one with new head gasket!

fuel economy, sporty

more comfortable seats and a more durable engine!

Very happy with the Honda
By bmondoman

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive with the stick shift. I drive 65 to 70 mph hwy & get 34 to 36mpg-70% hwy. Door lock froze & broke. Noisy bushings in front steering when parking-too expensive to replace. 1st set of tires wore away in 10 to 20 thousand miles. Loud cabin on the hwy. Plastic cover over dash gauges cracked twice. Car is good in the snow. Very reliable. Nice steering. Interior detail very nice. Trunk holds golf clubs and more. Quality detailing. No shoddy moldings. Nice map lights. Stereo sounds good w/good controls. Power to pass people on Hwy. Accelerates easily to enter freeway. This is my 4th Honda.

The shifting is very smooth. Honda automatics are not so smooth, but the manual shift is very good.

How about gauges for tire pressure & current mpg. I'm always putting air in the tires.

165,000 mile review
By abigcess

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

i purchased it new back in '03. i now have a little over 175,000 miles on it. it's been the most dependable car. i still drive it hard... dirt roads, 120 degree heat, 1200 mile trips in 8 yrs. few yrs ago, i was rear-ended on the freeway resulting in some extensive damage, but still runs strong despite virtually no maintenance work on it.. so far, I've changed brake pads once, spark plugs once, air filter twice, and last few times, I've gone over 9000 miles between oil changes. haven't done any tune ups, alignment, radiator flushes, or clutch work done yet. I'm averaging 32-34 miles with 70/30 city/freeway driving.

rock solid reliability, low ownership cost, requires minimal scheduled maintenance, nimble handling, comfy enough to sit for 8hrs trips, mpg,

the original cd player eats up cds, the ac/heat fan located under the glove box went out around 120,000miles, but miraculously working again after repluggin, noisy clutch since 23,000 miles, but still working fine, interior plastics faded after Febreeze spray,and my head touches the ceiling I'm 5'10"

Mixed review
By mixed review

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 9/03. Front passenger strut failed at approx 4k. Clutch started making squeaking noise at 25k. At 60k had clutched inspected, not an issue that has to be fixed but would cost $600 to eliminate the squeak. Driver door lock worn out at around 60k making it embarrassing when trying to get in the car if I actually locked the door. Cheap paint chips and scratches easy. Dents really easy. Not having ABS is a little dangerous, and the car for being so lite weight lacks breaking power.

Great gas mileage. Amazing in the snow as long as it isn't too deep. Handles well for an economy car, very poor compared to my BMW X3, BMW Z3, and Mazda6, but better than my Dodge Ram.

Make these options standard: anti lock brakes, side impact airbags, pwr door locks.