2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Watch Out For That Tranny
By Adam on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We take good care of our car. We put low miles on it every year. At 65,000 miles the transmission should not fail. To make it worse, Honda has no interest in making it right. Be very cautious when buying this car. There may not be many complaints about the '03 transmission now, but they're about to come of age. Do a search for '01 transmission problems and start saving for the impending rainy day. Don't say you weren't warned.

Still running with new parts
By Bigtaka1 on 05/17/10 14:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my civic used in 2005 with 37K miles and now have 158K. I have been a stickler with scheduled maintenance and have averaged between 33 and 38 mpg. I go on long drives once a month and it does well, but the seats are uncomfortable and you feel every pebble and crack and on the road. I replaced the ignition coils at 120K, the clutch at 153K and the head gasket replaced at 155K, which was hard to diagnose as the symptoms lead you to think the issue is elsewhere (overheating and heater malfunctioning), and the dealership was clueless. Otherwise it has been good to me. I would recommend buying this car, but if the miles are high look for one with new head gasket!

Very happy with the Honda
By bmondoman on 12/01/09 17:39 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive with the stick shift. I drive 65 to 70 mph hwy & get 34 to 36mpg-70% hwy. Door lock froze & broke. Noisy bushings in front steering when parking-too expensive to replace. 1st set of tires wore away in 10 to 20 thousand miles. Loud cabin on the hwy. Plastic cover over dash gauges cracked twice. Car is good in the snow. Very reliable. Nice steering. Interior detail very nice. Trunk holds golf clubs and more. Quality detailing. No shoddy moldings. Nice map lights. Stereo sounds good w/good controls. Power to pass people on Hwy. Accelerates easily to enter freeway. This is my 4th Honda.

165,000 mile review
By abigcess on 07/30/09 05:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

i purchased it new back in '03. i now have a little over 175,000 miles on it. it's been the most dependable car. i still drive it hard... dirt roads, 120 degree heat, 1200 mile trips in 8 yrs. few yrs ago, i was rear-ended on the freeway resulting in some extensive damage, but still runs strong despite virtually no maintenance work on it.. so far, I've changed brake pads once, spark plugs once, air filter twice, and last few times, I've gone over 9000 miles between oil changes. haven't done any tune ups, alignment, radiator flushes, or clutch work done yet. I'm averaging 32-34 miles with 70/30 city/freeway driving.

Mixed review
By mixed review on 07/09/09 13:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 9/03. Front passenger strut failed at approx 4k. Clutch started making squeaking noise at 25k. At 60k had clutched inspected, not an issue that has to be fixed but would cost $600 to eliminate the squeak. Driver door lock worn out at around 60k making it embarrassing when trying to get in the car if I actually locked the door. Cheap paint chips and scratches easy. Dents really easy. Not having ABS is a little dangerous, and the car for being so lite weight lacks breaking power.

Great Car
By Alex on 05/02/09 08:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Good gas mileage. With K&N Oil Filter and Castrol Syntec getting 35mpg at 70mph on 87 regular gas. At 55-65mph nearly 40 or higher mpg. Like the cluster gauge comparing to the the 2002 Honda Civic Ex or older.

All right at first
By zach on 05/01/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car was all right at first, just a little vibration due to a loose motor mount. The transmission went out 5 months later and it's broken beyond repair is what I was told. It'll total 3 grand for a new one and I need to shell out cash for worn left and right bushings, a leaky cv boot, and a new motor mount. Don't bother buying unless you can get it from dealer under warranty.

JDM
By Al on 10/12/08 11:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 03 civic it hasn't given any problem since i bought it i'm reaching the 80,000 mile mark and the car is still running great I've made significant performance upgrades to enhance my driving experience the car overall is great whether your just buying it as a regular day car or a tuner car. Hondas are great.

best mileage out of a totally gas engine
By matt1689 on 09/29/08 16:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've got a 2003 honda civic ex coupe totally gas engine 1.7 L 5 speed i've got about $200 worth of upgrades in it, trust me its totally worth it.. I'm getting avg 44 mpg on the highway and 37 in the city, it's got a cold air intake with a ram air inductor new exhaust, came stock with 2 mufflers, now it has one straight pipe with one straight muffler, plus a small performance chip, i go within 3mph of the speed limit and when I'm coming up on a stop or going down hill i kick it into neutral. i can get between 550 and 650 miles per fill up depending on how i'm driving, i always fill up b4 the gas light comes one

Really enjoyed this 2 door EX Coupe
By Dean on 08/12/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I had my Honda Civic for 5 years but just recently sold it so I could get a 4 door (got little kids). The car was very, very reliable and I only had a little over 51,000 miles on it. I never had any mechanical problems with it the whole time (knock on wood). I always changed the oil (myself) every 5,000 miles and made sure to change Air Filter (15,000 miles). I made sure to check the tires monthly as well. I got anywhere from 32-33 mpg around town with some highway driving. For straight highway trips I averaged around 36 on the last one. If you take care of this little baby it will take care of you. If you decide to sell your Civic, sell it out right as the dealerships will hose you.

1 2 3 4 5 next »