Used 2003 Honda Civic LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

It has survived me so far with 200k+
By C Read

2003 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've enjoyed driving the car, mileage is great, especially since I drive a lot of miles, but I have had my problems with the car: alternator went at 90k, the trans had a bearing go at 135k (replacement required), paint started peeling at year 4, ECCM (computer) went at 197k, the fabric on the doors started coming off (glue degraded). The engine is still. Though this car hasn't been as worry free as hoped, but with the high mileage accumulated as quick as it was, I would say it has handled as well could be expected with any car, I'll compare my next car when I get one, until then.

better than expected mileage. comfortable for me.

shift linkage in the transmission. lower road noise.

No complaints
By PA commuter

2003 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Sorry to hear about all the transmission problems. I have 83k on mine and no signs of auto tranny slippage. Averaging 35mpg city and 40+ highway. I've found that if you drive above 70 on the highway, mpg declines dramatically. Bought the extended warranty in august of 2003 and never used it. Only complaint is that I'm replacing the brake pads every 25k miles without intensive use.

Excellent body integrity, paint, and timeless style. Honda reliability all the way around!!

More power without sacrificing fuel economy (new civics have more power but not as fuel efficient). Longer lasting brake pads.

2003 Honda Civic LX
By 2003 Honda Civic LX

2003 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car from a used car dealer about 1 year ago, and have not had any problems whatsoever. I will say that the seats aren't all that comforting for long rides and the default radio system lacks, but aside from this, no complaints. Overall, this car is very reliable.

Great gas mileage and reliability thus far. Great room space: can fit a big person comfortable for such a small car.

Better seats for back support. Gets a bit uncomfortable when on long rides.

I love this car!
By Tony

2003 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely well built car. Manual trans scoots around. So far I've had nothing go wrong or need to be fixed or even adjusted. I just put Michelin tires on it and it changed the ride dramatically for the better. If I had known this I would have done it when I bought the car. The OE tires were weak but didn't wear out quickly. Well, one issue is that the CD player can heat up on a hot day and cause a crackling on the audio output. To me it has been a minor issue that I've ignored. I've experienced this on other cars so.....What can you say about a car that has never had a single problem in over 4 years?

Solid feel to the steering wheel and handling.

don't ship this car with less than great tires. It really enhances the driving experience. All cars should find a way to cool the CD Player. Direct AC to it from behind or something.

As reliable as they come
By Paul

2003 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned my Civic for over 3 years. Never had a single problem with it. I was rear ended a couple times for minor damages. The rear bumper is sturdy and does its job well. Gas mileage is good averaging about 28 mpg. Car is extremely responsive to weight change, you will definitely feel a change in how the car handles with extra weight on-board. Sound system is slightly above average.

Reliability, gas mileage.

Noisy at highway speed. Needs more power.