Used 2003 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2.5 years of love for my ep3
By kingchristo

2003 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Civic Si looked new when I bought it 2.5 years ago with 55K (totally stock). It's now at 90K, and it's been really great. The handling is a dream, it's comfortable as can be up front, and I get 30MPG+ even while having some fun on the mountain roads I drive daily. Its quick enough to be fun, though there are *now* a lot of faster cars for everyday use. I had to replace an O2 sensor and a door lock actuator (both of which are relatively easy to do yourself, luckily, and thus done for < $300 total). The backseat is a bit tight, but much better than what many similar cars have. The biggest shortcoming of this car is the lack of a 6th gear. 5th at 75mph=3700rpm.

Seats, handling, reliability, economy.

6th gear, bigger wheels.

The battery is a disaster!
By loring

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The IMA Battery on the 2003 Civic Hybrid is/was a flawed product. My first battery failed at 42,000 miles ( at 7 years) and was replaced under warranty. The second battery has failed with less than 27,000 miles ( at 11 years) and the dealer says it will cost me $3,684 to replace it with a rebuilt battery with a 3 year, 36K warranty. So far, Honda and I have spent more on batteries than I have on fuel for this car. With a 3 year warranty on a $3,684 battery, I'm planning on $1,000 per year battery cost going forward.

I carefully documented my battery failures and appealed to American Honda for some cost sharing on the third battery. They said sorry but you're on your own, nothing, period. I was very surprised they dropped me so hard. We bought two new Hondas in 2003, but they'll be our last. Expensive mistake buying the Civic Hybrid!!!!

Buy one for reliability
By carterpuma

2003 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I struggled with constant repairs on domestic cars for years before purchasing this car. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Bought at 47K miles in 2007 and now have 120K. In that time only ONE thing has ever gone wrong and that was a sensor that only cost $150. It just blows my mind how reliable this thing is. This car is such a smart choice and can be found for under $5K atm. Will be one of the best vehicle investments you ever make.

Gas mileage 28-30mpg city/38-40 all highway in ohio weather, Reliable, great looks inside and out, strong resale value

Underpowered, kind of loud, not the smoothest vehicle

best car i've ever owned, BY FAR
By thwipp89

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

bought my EX automatic new in '03 and have 125k miles after 10 yrs. after having a few american cars that were unreliable money pits, this car has been spectacular for me. wish i would've bought a honda sooner than i did. over 10 yrs, i've spent about $1k in non-maintenance repairs- mostly emissions/exhaust related, most of which has been at the 10 yr mark. i did need to replace the alternator after about 9 yrs. i average 30 MPG combined (about 65% city) but i have a very heavy foot.

reliability/dependability(!!!) MPG moonroof alloy rims value- i feel that i've more than got my money's worth from this car!! it's been virtually worry-free.

a little more HP would've been nice (the new civics have 140 HP vs the 128 HP this one has) but i'm willing to sacrifice to get better MPG. the factory stereo SUCKED, so i got an aftermarket stereo and speakers right away. the seats could be more comfortable. there could be more/better placed cup holders. the auto trans hasn't always the smoothest/most consistent when shifting gears, which seems to be a potential issue with this model. i did start using lucas trans fix, which seems to have helped.

Canadian SE Special Edition model
By duke_wa

2003 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this Civic 5-speed manual transmission SE model. It seems very practical and comfortable. Everything works and the car is 10 years old. Seating is comfortable, driving view is excellent, power is adequate with the manual transmission. This one was in excellent condition and I hope to keep it for the next 5 years. I really like the biege and brown interior. The dash is a nice quality, it doesn't look cheap. Also easy to park and the rear seats fold flat. The clutch is very intuitive as well.

Engine, 5-speed transmission, size, quality, economical.

Wouldn't mind power windows on my model, but I'm fine with the crank windows, one thing less to go wrong. A driver's right arm rest would be nice, too.