2002 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Maximum fuel mileage and relia

2002 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Review

Maximum fuel mileage and reliability
By 2620 on

2002 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

In 02 was considering Jetta, Civic, Saturn. Looking for fuel economy and reliability/longevity. It delivers! 5-speed manual 39 mpg back in 2002 and still 39 mpg in 2010. No problems whatsoever. Gas and oil changes only. New brakes at 150,000. Timing belt and water pump maintenance at 170,000. Mechanic said I could probably get another 100,000 before needing to bring it in again. It's decent in Michigan snow and ice. Road noise from rear end tires or wheels is noticeable. Ride suspension is also harsh over bumps. I feel got my money's worth. I plan to keep it another 4 years (80,000 miles) and then try to find a worthy person to be the second owner of this trusty little car.

Fuel economy. Reliability. Longevity. Economy of maintenance. I would not be surprised to see this car exceed 300,000 miles. The longer it keeps going, the more money stays in my pocket.

Quieter cabin. Softer suspension. I wish a current USA manuf (Saturn dropped theirs) would produce a small sedan / commuter car that achieves 40 mpg.