Honda = Chrysler now
By Honda NoGood NoMore on
2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)
Purchased new with 6 miles on it and drove it for 5 years (80,000) miles. Reliability and Honda service was terrible. At 35,400 miles, third gear synchro went out on manual transmission. I have been driving manuals for 25 years and I have a CDL and I never burned out a clutch or damaged a tranny. Fixed under warranty but never shifted right again (grinded and clunked when going into gear) and shifter was VERY stiff and VERY difficult to down shift. Took back 4 times and dealer said it was fine!? Called Honda Corporate and wrote letters, no help at all. All 4 struts went out at 40,000 miles too ($1300). Road noise terrible, factory tires rated worst on tirerack and hydroplaned very badly.
Favorite Features
Gas Mileage. I averaged around 37 in mixed driving! 40.5 on highway, 35 in town. Also, the trunk is huge and with fold-down seats, you can haul almost as much as an SUV.
Suggested Improvements
Replace flimsy brass synchros in manual transmission with stronger material. Redesign struts - these should not fail at 40,000. Extend Warranty to 60,000 (hey Honda, put your money where your mouth is). Most American car manufacturers are offering 60,000 and 100,000 mile warranties now.