2002 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Civic - simple economy car

2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

EX Coupe (1.7L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Civic - simple economy car
By Nick on

2002 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 3 year lease on the Civic is up in a month and I'm glad that I'm returning it. I haven't had any big problems with it (only replaced ABS sensor under warranty @ 15K miles), so it's been a reliable car. It's definitely not a bad car, but I think there are others that are better (replacing it with a Subaru, which is AWD, more powerful, quieter, better handling, and more fun to drive). I like the fuel economy, consistently get around 30-35MPG (I'll miss that with the Subaru). Like when the VTEC activates in the higher RPM range (especially 2nd and 3rd gears), gives you a little push. An advice to anyone interested in the Civic: look at Toyota Corolla, Matrix, and Mazda3 before purchasing.

Good handling. Fuel economy. Good position for the left hand arm rest on the door (not the right hand flip down rest). Enough of front seat track travel to sit as far back as you want. Fold down rear seats. Relatively big and deep trunk for the car of this size.

Quiet the engine down a bit. It's a bit loud(buzzing) as the RPMs increase. Put better tires on it. The original Firestones are bad in the rain and horrible in the snow.