2002 Honda Civic 1.7L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Absolute Quality

2002 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Review

Absolute Quality
By Reasonable Consumer on

2002 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since new and it currently has 130,000 miles in just under 4 years. About 75% of my driving has been freeway; 25% in town. Replaced the catalytic converter as only "major repair" - cost me around $500. Maintenance: Oil changed every ~4k miles, fuel filter each year, air filter every 20k miles, spark plugs &timing belt once each, flushed transmission fluid (automatic) and coolant once each, just bought new front brakes, have good tires and rotate every ~5-10k. Car gets 36-39 mpg at 75-85 mph freeway driving depending on winter or summer; 32-36 in town. It's time for me to step up, but I'll likely stay w/in Honda family and buy used Acura TL, while keeping the Civic.

Favorite Features

For a small car, it feels very stable in rain. It also cruises well at high speeds (75-90 mph)in terms of both stability and engine RPM. Transmission is smooth!! Int.Design -Lights/gauges are attractive/useful -temp control, cup holders, map lights are well thought out as Honda always improves.

Suggested Improvements

When you open passenger doors, and the trunk in particular, after rain, some water runs into the interior of the vehicle - initially frustrating, but doesn't bother me much anymore. Too much road noise (even for a Civic) and has many small rattles, however, on smooth roads, the car is very smooth.