Used 2002 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Nice Ride
By Bmo

2002 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Yup, bought a Civic 2dr EX. Just like them all, had front struts replaced under warranty. No problem now. Solid ride, good interior room with large enough doors to get in and out (other car is 90 Miata so this one feels huge...) Hauls lots of stuff when I need it to. Good in the snow or with sunroof open in summer. Driver gets wet when it rains and windows are down a little (wish it had rain rails) Outstanding reliability. I think I'll have this one for a while...

Favorite Features

Great instrument panel, gas milage fantastic, large trunk and fold down back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Wish theyd had a factory option super / turbocharger. Would've been nice to up the HP, but not ruin the gas milage.

Losing it's shine
By Scooterberrycrunch

2002 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no major mechanical problems with this car in 21k miles in 20 months, but it is literally losing it's shine. The paint seems kind of dull, I always thought it was applied rather thinly. Way too easily chipped and the body panels are showing lots of dings from rocks and parking lot incidents. Doesn't take much. My biggest concern is the rattle from the dash. It used to be intermittant but is now a constant nuisance. My car and a friend's '03 both share the same rattle from the exhaust near the muffler.

Favorite Features

The interior is well designed and thought out. I like the guages and HVAC controls. Fuel economy and transmission are outstanding.

Suggested Improvements

Honda needs to add some heft and quality to the materials. I know this is a safe, reliable well engineered car. Why mess it up with cheap plastic, thin paint and seats that are already showing signs of sun fading? AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, ADD ABS ACCROSS THE MODEL LINE!

Whitney B. Walker
By WhitneyCmachine

2002 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got a civic because my previous car was an unrestored 64 ford mustang (that needed a lot of work) and I just wanted a car I didnt have to worry if it was going to overheat or use a tank a day. I go out of town often with my civic and even with 60000 it still gets almost 400 miles to the tank.

Favorite Features

Sunroof! Great on hot days, when you want some sun on your shoulders.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest to Honda coming out with a SS-like civic. Already comes factory with an after market CD player, 17" rims...etc. Sure it cuts out retailers a little but you could probably get a larger loyalty with consumers if you became diverse in that way.

I love my honda civic, but
By joanjean

2002 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my honda civic, but Since I bought it new in 2002 i have haad a few problems with it. At my 15000 miles check they had to change the strut. At 29000 they had to put in a new altinator. My defogger does not work well and who knows what else will begin to happen after the warranty runs out in a few months I have 33000 miles on it so 3000 to go I hope it last nice car but not as well built as I thought

Favorite Features

Moon roof, CD player lots of trunk space

Suggested Improvements

More head room, leather interior

Unhappy Honda Owner
By Unhappy Honda Owner

2002 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with dealer added options paying 5,000 over sticker. Bad decision! Not only does this Civic NOT have the comfort as my old 2000 Civic, it has depreciated faster. The same dealer will only give me 10,5000 for a car that list for 17k new, not to mention the add ons they don't give credit for, where the sticker on the old Civic was also 17k and two years later was worth 11,500.00 trade in and 13.5k-14.5k retail. 2002 Civic is uncomfortable for long rides, feel every bump in the road, doesn't feel as tight driving as the old Civic model, just has not been a good experience other than good gas mileage and Honda's usual mechanical reliability.

Favorite Features

Dependable, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign to drive and feel better for the ride. The new look outside not all that hot, the interior is roomy therefore probably no changes there.