Used 2002 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

This is a Honda?
By ashleysandsamsmom

2002 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought the car, I have had it a week and there is a vibrating noise in the front end when taking off or going up a hill. The dome light is bad and the fuel gauge is not working properly, the sensor is being replaced in a few days. The breaks are making a scrubbing noise. All of this has been brought up to the dealership they say all is normal but the fuel sensor and dome light! So to have this car for only a week and all these things to be wrong, that's not good. I thought Hondas were reliable and wonderful cars! It didn't come with a CD player and the windows you have to manually roll them up, I am lazy.

I love the look of the car, black with tinted black windows, nice wheels, very sporty looking. It's great on gas, when I can tell what I am actually getting for MPG.

It seems like there might be some electrical problems or sensory problems. Not a lot of power, not enough of get up and go like I thought it would have for a small Honda.

In Love With This Civic
By Katy

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! I never have any trouble starting it even in very cold weather, it handles great in the snow, it can be kinda noisy but I can live with that. The best part is that I get 36 mpg in the city and close to 40 on the highway! I've always loved Hondas for their durability and longevity and this car is no exception!

Gas mileage, reliability

No anti-lock brakes on my LX model, plastic wheel covers

Good Car - Not Perfect
By AtTheLake

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Drive train and suspension are rock solid after 135K miles. Great gas mileage. Would buy another, but can't say the car is total nirvana. Had little things go wrong, fuel sender and interior light switch malfunctions at 40K and more usual stuff fail later on, but overall a decent little car.

MPG

Perfect for a 1st time driver
By Smart Wins

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car approx. 3 months after I got my license almost 3 1/2 years ago, and I was smitten when I got behind the wheel. If your a 1st time driver, or a person who just wants a car to drive, and isn't concerned with "fun" driving this car is 100% perfect for you. But for myself, now I want more power, and huge fun factor when I'm driving, so off to the '08 G35x

Awesome gas mileage & great maintenance wise.

Needs better seats. Seats literally have brought me to a chiropractor. Besides that what else can you expect from the Civic that they don't already offer? If you want all the bells and whistles, buy a mid luxury sedan. Again itís perfect for a 1st time driver.

Pseudo-Ode to My Honda
By Honda Honey

2002 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Civic you were not the best looking, fastest or not even that exciting, but you were dependable and you gave me a lot of miles off one tank of gas. You had to be pushed up even the small hills and the road and wind noise a nuisance, but you made every trip just fine. Your sound system was just there and comfort could have been better, but I still loved you and miss you to this day. But alas I will try something new and more exciting in the near future even though I will never forget you... the one who I could count on to cheerfully start each morning no matter what abuse I dished out.

Gas mileage, dependability, safety (held up well in the accident that totaled it).

Cramped interior (I am 5'2 and size 12... yikes) esp when I have grown up beside me, sound system, plastic wheel covers (do they qualify as hub caps), better brakes and better get and go (weakest 4 cylinder I ever had).