Used 2002 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Diamond in the Rough
By Sammy B

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car brand new. Nothing bad except for my older brother tearing up the clutch after only 40,000 miles, but that's his fault not the car. This is car has so much potential no one knows about or understands. A lot of people think the civic is another foreign car thats saves gas. Did you know most of the parts on the civic are made in the US than there are on a cavalier? I don't think an American counterpart can compare to this vehicle. It may not be twin turbo-ed, or have a supercharger, but the VTEC can get the car to keep up with many others out there.

Favorite Features

VTEC (even though its only an SOHC in my EX), availability for upgrades in performance and looks, via aftermarket, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better sounds system from stock, standard alloys or wheel option (no hub caps), and should of have the HFP package available for the Sedan!

A quality car
By rstuart

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Civic a year ago used and it has been such a quality car. We have the 5 spd and it regularly gets 30 mpg in the city. We have not had a single problem with the car and it is 6 years old already! The interior is high quality, especially considering this used to be Honda's entry-level car. Yeah, it isn't the most comfortable car to ride in or the most quiet, but after a while you don't notice it anymore, or you just naturally forgive the car because it takes care of you at the pump and by not breaking down. If there is one thing I would change on the car, it would be the A/C. It just can't cool the car down on a day when the temp is over 100 degrees. Our next car will be a civic!:)

Favorite Features

MPG! Fun to drive, the energetic sound the engine makes, the high quality int, the driving position (it's just perfect for a 5'10'' guy), high resale value, RELIABILITY!

Suggested Improvements

Not that I'm complaining but the ride and quietness could be improved, the outside styling (it's kinda bland). Again I can't complain...

02 Civic, best for this gas price
By HondaGuy

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost 2yrs back, and driving 2000 miles a month on an average. And it meets my first criteria, be fuel economic. I was getting 33-34 mpg couple of months back, and now after the raise in gas prices I try to drive it efficiently and which gives me a 40-42 mpg. I have an ideal drive to work, in an almost empty highway. I haven't put much money on it, but never missed any regular maintenance appointments.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency Compact, can sneak in any where.

Suggested Improvements

A little too noisy inside. Steering is a bit tight, I guess Honda might have fixed this in their later versions. A bit more stuff in dash.

love my honda
By grj

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I didn't even do maintenance for 2 years because I didn't know what to do! Now I get regular filter changes/tires/oil/and it needed some transmission fluid when I noticed it made a weird squeaking noise. Read the user manual would be my advice, to avoid costly mechanical charges. DO change air filters a lot (every 3 oil changes), it improves the fuel economy. I only had to change the battery one time, and I've had to jump start it many (when it was the old battery) because I kept leaving the lights on. The factory battery lasted 5 years which is really quite something!.

Favorite Features

The cruise control. Saves a lot of money on gas. I love the way it can turn so nice and tight around narrow streets when I do a u-turn!

Suggested Improvements

It isn't very cozy on long trips. My rear end falls asleep and my legs get stiff and icky. Also the cabin is noisy.

Reliable and comfortable
By Happy customer

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. It rides smooth and I haven't had any large repair bills to date. I've had this car 4 years and all I've had to replace is the tires and regular oil changes. I'm very happy with the gas mileage. I have had many compliments on this car from friends to mechanics. This is a great road trip car. I've taken it to a bunch of different States and even out of the Country.

Favorite Features

I like the Power locks and the cruise control. The radio works fantastic. The interior cleans easily. I always have a smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

None