Used 2002 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Decent Car
By RHtremblay

2002 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in '02 Since then i have put about 102k miles on it. The car has been very reliable. However, the car is lacking in the performance department with only 126hp. The ride is also a little bumppy. Replaced the stock stereo system as soon as I bought it. Brakes lock up way to much and this car has ABS so i don't know the reason for that one. Car gets good gas mileage. Interior is breaking down a lot (faded, cracking, tears, etc.) I love the size of the back very roomy for a coupe. The moonroof is great on sunny days. Perfect car for roadtrips. Most reliable car ever!!!

Favorite Features

Moonroof, rear spolier, a/c is ice cold, heater is amazing, roomy back seat, comfortable seats, keyless entry, rear center seat has a shoulder belt, large trunk, gas mileage, and the hidden cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension!, more powerful engine, standard alloys on the EX model, 4 wheel disc brakes, better quality interior, better stock stereo system, and the a better quality exterior (dents and chips too easly)

Honda's May Last Forever, But...
By HKI4EVR

2002 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know what Honda was thinking when they designed the interior of the Honda Civic. They may run forever, but what is the point if you hate driving it? I have had to replace my stereo twice, my vents vibrate up and down as I drive, when the vents are set to come out at the floor only, I have to shut the rest of my vents to get all the air to come out only at the floor, and now when I push the button to turn on my rear defrost, my radio stations go fuzzy. Not only that, but what brilliant engineer thought that putting cupholders on the other side of the shifter would be a good idea? And what is the point of having an armrest that interferes with the driver's ability to shift?

Favorite Features

It gets great gas mileage, but what 2- door, 4 cylinder doesn't? It fits into small spaces.

Suggested Improvements

Start over on the entire interior. Don't only spend money on the engine. More storage space. Make the cassette player work for more than one year or make a CD player standard. Make the door locks actually lock both doors - what's the point in having automatic locks if they don't lock both doors?

SurvivorOfTheCivic
By ISurvivedTheCivic

2002 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Civic had been pretty good form the most part. This is the 2nd Civic I've owned after totalling my first in a rear-end collision. I still feel like I got a little less car for a little more money. I enjoy all the amenities that come standard on the EX model. The A/C is a freezer, heater is a sweat box, and it very manuverable. The 2 door model does not comfortably seat 4 at all. I am a college student and sometimes space is a need. The gas mileage is great. I feel like the quality of my first Civic, which was a 97', was must better than that of my current 02' model.

Favorite Features

The moonroof, keyless entry, and power everything is exciting. Ok people, my first civic was a base model. All the features are located in very convenient places. The styling is also in such a manner that it never looks old. Although I bought this car used, my peers thought it was brand new.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest a more powerful engine. Traveling on the interstate highway can be a little annoying in this car sometimes due to engine noise at speeds above 55mph. I recommend standard fog lights and a keyless trunk release added to the keyless entry remote. The clutch can sometimes be a little mushy.

You Have Got To Love This Civic
By LoveMyCivic

2002 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Civic. It has had absolutely no problems and has run flawlessly. Love the style and the amenities that come in the EX model, like the moonroof and the A/C buttons. It has a powerful A/C that gets really cold and a super powerful heater. Tons of trunk room and is definitely built for 2, not 4 people. You can do it, but I wouldn't advise it.

Favorite Features

The moonroof, the interior and design. A/C buttons and power everything. Fog lights are great, but buy them aftermarket and from the dealer.

Suggested Improvements

More power, you have to be gentle with it, but it gets there... eventually. Also, not much room in the interior, do not buy this for space. Designed for 2 people, not 4... it's too tight. Better system for the music. MUCH BETTER TIRES. Those tires are awful!! Horrible in the rain. I sold them and replaced.

I love my AMERICAN built Honda
By EEErock

2002 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

While there are a few features of the Civic that still need refining overall I think youll find that this is a great car for the money. I didnt buy the car to get rid of it; I bought it because I knew it would be reliable and last a LONG TIME. Has it been reliable? At 67,000 miles performance is nothing less than flawless. My fuel economy is outstanding even with slight motor modification (40mpg hwy). I'm amazed at the lack of maintainance this thing requires - it just keeps going. The improvement suggestions below are significant but overly 'picky' when you consider the price of the car.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, Cold Air Intake / Exhaust (added), VTEC, storage/trunk space, driver oriented controls, power everything, 7k redline.

Suggested Improvements

It should have all disk brakes, better tires, better head unit for stereo, larger motor, should come with alloy wheels, better lit dash, HID headlights, durable fog lenses (do not buy from factory they will CRACK), sport shifter, firmer clutch.