2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Practical, but no more
By Sam on 03/07/08 11:53 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car is quite practical, but has had a decent number of repairs. It gets good fuel economy (upper 20's) and is a sound car. However, if you are looking for a quick car, you've come to the wrong place.

Honda Civic 2002
By Pipo on 08/31/07 08:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, it's OK. However, after 100k miles, the transmission broke down. Without any warning. I don't know why. Price of parts are too expensive.

5 year old Honda review
By Croismoi on 08/17/07 18:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My car is 5 years old. It has 24K miles on it and makes a weird squeaking noise when I drive it slowly. Lately it has not been starting on the first try. I took it to the dealer and they could not determine what the cause was. I am now just waiting for the 2008 Nissans or Camrys to come out. My dealership now wants to charge a $99 diagnostic fee. Whether they find the problem or not. The fact that there seems to be an electrical short that might make me stranded somewhere really bothers me. I'm very disappointed in Honda quality and the dealership.

Love the K20
By Mr Green on 06/19/07 10:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far I have had 3 Si's. A 1992, 1993 and 2002. I love the feel and styling of the '02 hatch Si. Great car as usual. Thanks Honda for doing what American car manufaturers have failed to do.

Great Car!!
By OnestellarLove on 05/15/07 23:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Civic used with 35,000 miles on it. I currently hit the 90,000 mark and had the Honda maintenance done, and it runs like its brand new. Haven't had any major problems, just typical wear and tear. Handling is great on the back roads around my house and don't even have to downshift to go up and down hills and around the S-turns. Great gas mileage, have made it to around 40-44 mph in daily driving (not highway). Definitely no complaints. Security features are FINE, car homes with a code that you punch in if the battery dies. Manual transmission is still shifting great and going strong. No problems with clutch, etc.

Great car
By hondadriver on 05/09/07 03:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car about 100 miles a day and it does great. It gets better gas mileage than expected, 37/42. A little less with 5 passengers.

Puddle water shakes passanger side wheel
By Nick on 02/11/07 18:03 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a reply to an earlier post. I had the same problem as Scott...Does anyone else have this problem with the 2002, Honda Civic EX, 4dr, 5 speed Man. When driving through puddles the water splashes on the exhaust and has a loud noise, the noise you would hear if a car had no exhaust. As it dries, 30 seconds, it goes away. Honda knows of this issue and calls it a "characteristic of the car". They said not to worry and left it at that.

Great car for what it is
By Love My SI on 02/09/07 19:23 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Civic Si 3 years ago. I have had absolutely no problems with this vehicle. transmission is amazing, clutch feel is great, handling is excellent for a front wheel drive. Understand its a civic, and while it's the performance model of a civic, it's power is only moderate or a bit lacking by todays standards. gas mileage is great and reliability is fantastic.

good all around
By pacey on 01/10/07 16:29 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

i've had my car for 2 months now and have had no issues. lots of fun to drive, very good on gas. its not the fastest car on the road but is easy to pass cars on the highway. looks are excellent, audio is great.

Solid and Reliable
By Ted on 12/26/06 20:14 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Solid performance but conservative styling sums the car up. I have had virtually no problems with it in almost 5 years of ownership. Mileage has been from 35 to 40 mpg in freeway commuting. Scheduled maintenance has been a big improvement - (much less frequently needed than my previous car). The ride is a bit stiff compared to my wifes Honda CRV.