Used 2002 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

In Love With This Civic
By Katy

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! I never have any trouble starting it even in very cold weather, it handles great in the snow, it can be kinda noisy but I can live with that. The best part is that I get 36 mpg in the city and close to 40 on the highway! I've always loved Hondas for their durability and longevity and this car is no exception!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability

Suggested Improvements

No anti-lock brakes on my LX model, plastic wheel covers

My Civil Little Civic
By Mos Steph

2002 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Civic from a local Honda dealer in 2005, had 36,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 3000 miles. Only had to replace the battery, front brake pads, tires. Only out of the ordinary repairs were the airbag sensor (Honda replaced for free not even under warranty!), a tie rod (wear & tear), and some electrical connection that had to do with one of my headlights. It's not the most flashy, fast car but it's zippy, economical, and just right for me. If I had kids or pets to haul around I'd probably go for the sedan or an Accord but for now I love the coupe. I'm a Honda person for life now after having an Oldsmobile & Chevy. If I had to do it again, I'd get a 5 speed if available.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, sunroof, ABS, low- maintenance, reliable.

Suggested Improvements

rims instead of wheel covers (they did change that with the 2003 EX), seat comfort, 5 speed automatic.

absolute best car
By medic587

2002 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I have ever owned, and I have owned several. I bought it due to the gas mileage and reliability and it has held up its end of the deal. I continually get low 40s MPG. I now have 315,000 miles on it and I have only had to replace an alternator (@ 250k). It still has its original clutch! The only thing I have had to do for this car, besides the alternator, is routine maintenance and put gas in it. I still trust it to get me anywhere.... long or short distance. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this car!

Favorite Features

large trunk; roomy passenger area; driver's seat arm rest; excellent gas mileage; handles well

Suggested Improvements

Not a single thing can be improved. The car is absolute perfection.

Great! ,,but....
By ethelip

2002 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Had this car for 2 years now - I drive it tough, on tough roads (NYC, dirt roads..) I can accelarate as fast as I need - even though I must use low gears & push it, she goes! Now 86K and still sounds great.

Favorite Features

Cup holder in cool place - up front against dash. // Roomy trunk. // Nice simple design on dashboard. // Spark plugs very easy to access.

Suggested Improvements

WISH it had a 6th gear. I know it would be weak, but cruising at 60mph, I can't stand the constant 3K rpm! // The seats are NOT nearly as comfy as the '97 Accord. Too much cheap, hard plastic in cabin. //

You Have Got To Love This Civic
By LoveMyCivic

2002 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Civic. It has had absolutely no problems and has run flawlessly. Love the style and the amenities that come in the EX model, like the moonroof and the A/C buttons. It has a powerful A/C that gets really cold and a super powerful heater. Tons of trunk room and is definitely built for 2, not 4 people. You can do it, but I wouldn't advise it.

Favorite Features

The moonroof, the interior and design. A/C buttons and power everything. Fog lights are great, but buy them aftermarket and from the dealer.

Suggested Improvements

More power, you have to be gentle with it, but it gets there... eventually. Also, not much room in the interior, do not buy this for space. Designed for 2 people, not 4... it's too tight. Better system for the music. MUCH BETTER TIRES. Those tires are awful!! Horrible in the rain. I sold them and replaced.