2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Honda Fan
By Asa in Atlanta on 07/26/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 Civic EX in Sept 2005 to replace my 1990 Civic EX that had been wrecked. The 2002 Civic had 85,800 original miles and now has 148,200 miles. I drive an average of 1800. This car has been excellent mechanically with no major problems. Gas mileage has been fabulous for an automatic: generally 33-34 in mixed driving. I averaged 36.5 on a 2500 mile trip in 2007 driving 65-70 mph. Only con is noise. I recommend putting premium tires on the Civic. My performance and handling greatly improved; the noise diminished as well.

Diamond in the Rough
By Sammy B on 07/06/08 19:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car brand new. Nothing bad except for my older brother tearing up the clutch after only 40,000 miles, but that's his fault not the car. This is car has so much potential no one knows about or understands. A lot of people think the civic is another foreign car thats saves gas. Did you know most of the parts on the civic are made in the US than there are on a cavalier? I don't think an American counterpart can compare to this vehicle. It may not be twin turbo-ed, or have a supercharger, but the VTEC can get the car to keep up with many others out there.

A quality car
By rstuart on 07/03/08 14:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Civic a year ago used and it has been such a quality car. We have the 5 spd and it regularly gets 30 mpg in the city. We have not had a single problem with the car and it is 6 years old already! The interior is high quality, especially considering this used to be Honda's entry-level car. Yeah, it isn't the most comfortable car to ride in or the most quiet, but after a while you don't notice it anymore, or you just naturally forgive the car because it takes care of you at the pump and by not breaking down. If there is one thing I would change on the car, it would be the A/C. It just can't cool the car down on a day when the temp is over 100 degrees. Our next car will be a civic!:)

02 Civic, best for this gas price
By HondaGuy on 07/03/08 07:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost 2yrs back, and driving 2000 miles a month on an average. And it meets my first criteria, be fuel economic. I was getting 33-34 mpg couple of months back, and now after the raise in gas prices I try to drive it efficiently and which gives me a 40-42 mpg. I have an ideal drive to work, in an almost empty highway. I haven't put much money on it, but never missed any regular maintenance appointments.

Honda = Chrysler now
By Honda NoGood NoMore on 06/03/08 09:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new with 6 miles on it and drove it for 5 years (80,000) miles. Reliability and Honda service was terrible. At 35,400 miles, third gear synchro went out on manual transmission. I have been driving manuals for 25 years and I have a CDL and I never burned out a clutch or damaged a tranny. Fixed under warranty but never shifted right again (grinded and clunked when going into gear) and shifter was VERY stiff and VERY difficult to down shift. Took back 4 times and dealer said it was fine!? Called Honda Corporate and wrote letters, no help at all. All 4 struts went out at 40,000 miles too ($1300). Road noise terrible, factory tires rated worst on tirerack and hydroplaned very badly.

It's a Honda!!!!
By ToughStar on 05/22/08 20:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car 8 months now. I commute about 100 miles a day & this thing cannot be beat. Fast, fun sporty. I still average 32 mpg, important especially now with gas at $4 a gallon. I have put 16K on in 10 months. I expect it to last me to 250K miles, as long as you perform proper maintenance. I have done a few small upgrades & am seeing even better mpg sometimes, no need to buy a new Honda. But will buy another again. Thanks Honda for doing what you do best, building some of the best cars in the world.

Honda 2002 GX (CNG) a sweetie.
By cng USER on 05/06/08 20:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic GX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl CVT)

This is a sweet little car to drive and very economical at the current price of gasoline. I have a used home pump which fills the tank overnight. My price per gallon equivalent at home is about $1.53 per gallon equivalent. Because the fuel is so clean, oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals could probably be delayed further. I have had essentially no major problems with the car. It has saved me a really large amount of money--especially now that gasoline is going for $4.72.

Tuned 2002 coupe
By Leszek on 05/04/08 22:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I did only 15,000 miles on it, but I know the car since it was 1 year old. That 1.7 liter engine was almost all the time pushed to the redline. The car was tuned a little bit, but it was almost like glued to the road when cornering. 0-60 is about 8.5\9 sec. I owned a manual transmission and I had to rebuild it (with 90k miles on it) but only because of track use and power shifting ($1000). Around 90k miles I had to change all front bushings ($450) and shocks ($300) everything else works perfectly. I have experienced an accident on highway going about 60mph and I can tell you that the car is very safe. It just started to burn about a half quarter of oil for every oil change. Mobil 1 5W-20

love my honda
By grj on 05/01/08 20:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I didn't even do maintenance for 2 years because I didn't know what to do! Now I get regular filter changes/tires/oil/and it needed some transmission fluid when I noticed it made a weird squeaking noise. Read the user manual would be my advice, to avoid costly mechanical charges. DO change air filters a lot (every 3 oil changes), it improves the fuel economy. I only had to change the battery one time, and I've had to jump start it many (when it was the old battery) because I kept leaving the lights on. The factory battery lasted 5 years which is really quite something!.

Reliable and comfortable
By Happy customer on 03/20/08 09:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. It rides smooth and I haven't had any large repair bills to date. I've had this car 4 years and all I've had to replace is the tires and regular oil changes. I'm very happy with the gas mileage. I have had many compliments on this car from friends to mechanics. This is a great road trip car. I've taken it to a bunch of different States and even out of the Country.