2002 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Pseudo-Ode to My Honda
By Honda Honey on 01/11/09 14:11 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Civic you were not the best looking, fastest or not even that exciting, but you were dependable and you gave me a lot of miles off one tank of gas. You had to be pushed up even the small hills and the road and wind noise a nuisance, but you made every trip just fine. Your sound system was just there and comfort could have been better, but I still loved you and miss you to this day. But alas I will try something new and more exciting in the near future even though I will never forget you... the one who I could count on to cheerfully start each morning no matter what abuse I dished out.

Very impressed
By phillyg_16 on 12/19/08 16:13 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my civic w/ 105k miles and have put 50k miles on it since. I love it. It handles very well in the snow (we get lots in MI), and gets great mileage (an average of 32 city & hwy). It's been very reliable. It blows my mind that it has 155k miles on it and it still drives like it's new. Plus, I put 12 gallons of gas in it and it takes me 400 miles.

Near Best of the Best
By Paul on 08/31/08 14:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned 3 Honda's before this one, and this one tops them all. I bought this EX used and it has not had one single engine problem in 1 year. I am 5'11'' and it fits me like glove in front and back. Besides the manual clutch jamming very rarely, its a smooth ride. It is slightly loud on the road, but you learn to ignore it because it can keep up with any car on the road. On a trip to LA I drove 70 mph and got 33.33 MPG over 410 miles. When I drive slower I get about 35 mpg. This is a great reliable car! My next car will be a NEW civic whenever that day comes. :)

Honda Fan
By Asa in Atlanta on 07/26/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 Civic EX in Sept 2005 to replace my 1990 Civic EX that had been wrecked. The 2002 Civic had 85,800 original miles and now has 148,200 miles. I drive an average of 1800. This car has been excellent mechanically with no major problems. Gas mileage has been fabulous for an automatic: generally 33-34 in mixed driving. I averaged 36.5 on a 2500 mile trip in 2007 driving 65-70 mph. Only con is noise. I recommend putting premium tires on the Civic. My performance and handling greatly improved; the noise diminished as well.

Diamond in the Rough
By Sammy B on 07/06/08 19:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car brand new. Nothing bad except for my older brother tearing up the clutch after only 40,000 miles, but that's his fault not the car. This is car has so much potential no one knows about or understands. A lot of people think the civic is another foreign car thats saves gas. Did you know most of the parts on the civic are made in the US than there are on a cavalier? I don't think an American counterpart can compare to this vehicle. It may not be twin turbo-ed, or have a supercharger, but the VTEC can get the car to keep up with many others out there.

A quality car
By rstuart on 07/03/08 14:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Civic a year ago used and it has been such a quality car. We have the 5 spd and it regularly gets 30 mpg in the city. We have not had a single problem with the car and it is 6 years old already! The interior is high quality, especially considering this used to be Honda's entry-level car. Yeah, it isn't the most comfortable car to ride in or the most quiet, but after a while you don't notice it anymore, or you just naturally forgive the car because it takes care of you at the pump and by not breaking down. If there is one thing I would change on the car, it would be the A/C. It just can't cool the car down on a day when the temp is over 100 degrees. Our next car will be a civic!:)

02 Civic, best for this gas price
By HondaGuy on 07/03/08 07:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost 2yrs back, and driving 2000 miles a month on an average. And it meets my first criteria, be fuel economic. I was getting 33-34 mpg couple of months back, and now after the raise in gas prices I try to drive it efficiently and which gives me a 40-42 mpg. I have an ideal drive to work, in an almost empty highway. I haven't put much money on it, but never missed any regular maintenance appointments.

love my honda
By grj on 05/01/08 20:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I didn't even do maintenance for 2 years because I didn't know what to do! Now I get regular filter changes/tires/oil/and it needed some transmission fluid when I noticed it made a weird squeaking noise. Read the user manual would be my advice, to avoid costly mechanical charges. DO change air filters a lot (every 3 oil changes), it improves the fuel economy. I only had to change the battery one time, and I've had to jump start it many (when it was the old battery) because I kept leaving the lights on. The factory battery lasted 5 years which is really quite something!.

Reliable and comfortable
By Happy customer on 03/20/08 09:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. It rides smooth and I haven't had any large repair bills to date. I've had this car 4 years and all I've had to replace is the tires and regular oil changes. I'm very happy with the gas mileage. I have had many compliments on this car from friends to mechanics. This is a great road trip car. I've taken it to a bunch of different States and even out of the Country.

Honda Civic 2002
By Pipo on 08/31/07 08:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, it's OK. However, after 100k miles, the transmission broke down. Without any warning. I don't know why. Price of parts are too expensive.