Used 2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Such a good time
By Blakslee

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before I got this car I had a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 which I love(d). But once I started grad school and began driving close to 400 miles per week, I needed something more economical but because I'm a car nut and feel that my car is a strong reflection of myself the list of cars I could afford, actually wanted and would save me enough money was veeeeery small.

I was about to get a Mini cooper when the owners bailed and then I came across a gold 2002 Civic Si on craigslist. Owner was asking $5000 which I felt was a bit high but because it was so clean and very stock I really didn't want to pass it up so I shelled out the money.

Being my first stick shift, it took me a few days to be able to drive the car proficiently and really enjoy what an awesome machine it is. Coming from my Jeep which was basically a 4wd muscle car (big engine, crude suspension and really only good in a straight line) to this car was like going from a hovercraft to a go-cart. This thing handles phenomenally well. (My car has lower, stiffer springs on it mind you). The seats hold you in tight and so far the car has only asked me to push it harder. Where my jeep was happiest at 1/3 to 3/4 throttle, the Civic Si is happiest when you're revving the nuts off of it. The car is a bit sluggish from a stop and 1st gear is really short but from then on it is just a blast. Surprisingly it does have some torque steer. I would highly recommend a cold air intake on this car if nothing else just for the induction noise. At about 3k rpm you get the start of a great engine growl what just gets bigger an louder especially once the vtec kicks in. But (on the stock exhaust) it's quiet enough for me to finally enjoy some classical music on the highway (when you aren't driving like Paul Walker of course).

The clutch is nice and light but very squeeky and bites in the upper half/upper third of the travel. The shifter could be notchier and have less play but the car does have 92000 miles on it.

It isn't the fastest thing in the world, in fact my old jeep is probably faster, but that is not at all why I bought the civic. I'd already had a car that was fast but I found that I rarely ever got to use all the power and because it was an automatic, the only time I really ever enjoyed the car was when I was flooring it (which was almost never). The 2002 civic si is fast enough where giving it the full berries is just as much fun as it was in the jeep but I'm not breaking the speed limit...as much. This is going to sound really odd but because the civic si is a bit slower, I can savor the sensation of acceleration and that wonderful induction noise for longer before I need to stamp on the brakes. Not to mention that every time you turn the wheel it's like carving a hole in the laws of physics. The trade off of course is ride quality. I would not say it is uncomfortable but you are going to know exactly where the town didn't do such a good job paving the roads.

If you value getting to 60 in under 6 seconds, going on road trips with 3 of your friends or being whisked to your destination surrounded by Egyptian cotton and duck down don't buy this car.

But if you are someone who says "I GET to drive an hour each way to...", who wants a car that will reward you when you push it and encourage you to push it harder while doing 30 mpg highway and being as reliable as a sun dial on a clear summer day then you really need look no further. If you can find one that hasn't been modded up the yin yang and thrashed by...well me.

Still fun and practical
By lrxst

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car longer than any other by far (over 8 years now). It handles predictably, and has held up pretty well over the years. It's not a common model, so people look at it and kind of scratch their heads. The clutch lasted 90,000 miles, and was a little over a $1,000 to replace at an independent shop. Other than that, it's been mostly routine maintenance. Unlike earlier models, this engine has a timing chain instead of a timing belt, which is a great benefit on upkeep and the little 2.0 seems pretty much bulletproof. The shifter is different than most cars, but I'm not sure why other cars don't have it there in the center. Typical Honda, carefully laid out, and it all still works.

It's disappointing that Honda isn't still building a fun hatch like this. This is the most practical layout for me, like a little minivan. I've hauled home a full-sized desk in the back. We've shuttled kids around in it, and the idea of having a huge car or SUV to transport a couple of little kids seems like overkill.

Lookin good
By Tanja

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

SI is a civic all grown up with all the bells and whistles. Had a 95 with 145000, ran perfect when I sold it. Just rusted. This car has good pick up even in fifth gear. Gas mileage is decent, use the cruise control. Better features inside, cup holders etc. than older models.

Easy to drive. Great handling, shifter is in a great position.

Occasional sixth gear needed, better fan for air. Live in AZ.

Great MPG!!!
By Irishndn22

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was the second owner of this car, the previous people decided it needed some upgrades but never completed with a turbo (pity). I drive 30 miles one way to work and get on average 32-35 mpg, can't beat that! I have never had any major problems with the car, would recommend to anyone looking at a Civic Si of this style or anything with good MPG.

I love the placement of the shifter! Clutch feels great and MPG is hard to beat!!! Seats are comfy for in town traffic, little hard for travel, but not as bad as some!

The sound system is less than I would expect, a lot of road noise, it could have used a 6th gear in the tranny, RPMs are higher than I would like when going highway speed.

It's a Honda!!!!
By ToughStar

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car 8 months now. I commute about 100 miles a day & this thing cannot be beat. Fast, fun sporty. I still average 32 mpg, important especially now with gas at $4 a gallon. I have put 16K on in 10 months. I expect it to last me to 250K miles, as long as you perform proper maintenance. I have done a few small upgrades & am seeing even better mpg sometimes, no need to buy a new Honda. But will buy another again. Thanks Honda for doing what you do best, building some of the best cars in the world.

Rally style shifter, back to its roots with the hatchback. MPG, performance gearing, seats. Limited numbers, rarely seen, people always ask what it is.

Like everyone else the K20A Type R would be more fun, but you would sacrifice mileage.