Used 2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Still fun and practical
By lrxst

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car longer than any other by far (over 8 years now). It handles predictably, and has held up pretty well over the years. It's not a common model, so people look at it and kind of scratch their heads. The clutch lasted 90,000 miles, and was a little over a $1,000 to replace at an independent shop. Other than that, it's been mostly routine maintenance. Unlike earlier models, this engine has a timing chain instead of a timing belt, which is a great benefit on upkeep and the little 2.0 seems pretty much bulletproof. The shifter is different than most cars, but I'm not sure why other cars don't have it there in the center. Typical Honda, carefully laid out, and it all still works.

Favorite Features

It's disappointing that Honda isn't still building a fun hatch like this. This is the most practical layout for me, like a little minivan. I've hauled home a full-sized desk in the back. We've shuttled kids around in it, and the idea of having a huge car or SUV to transport a couple of little kids seems like overkill.

Lookin good
By Tanja

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

SI is a civic all grown up with all the bells and whistles. Had a 95 with 145000, ran perfect when I sold it. Just rusted. This car has good pick up even in fifth gear. Gas mileage is decent, use the cruise control. Better features inside, cup holders etc. than older models.

Favorite Features

Easy to drive. Great handling, shifter is in a great position.

Suggested Improvements

Occasional sixth gear needed, better fan for air. Live in AZ.

Great MPG!!!
By Irishndn22

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was the second owner of this car, the previous people decided it needed some upgrades but never completed with a turbo (pity). I drive 30 miles one way to work and get on average 32-35 mpg, can't beat that! I have never had any major problems with the car, would recommend to anyone looking at a Civic Si of this style or anything with good MPG.

Favorite Features

I love the placement of the shifter! Clutch feels great and MPG is hard to beat!!! Seats are comfy for in town traffic, little hard for travel, but not as bad as some!

Suggested Improvements

The sound system is less than I would expect, a lot of road noise, it could have used a 6th gear in the tranny, RPMs are higher than I would like when going highway speed.

It's a Honda!!!!
By ToughStar

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car 8 months now. I commute about 100 miles a day & this thing cannot be beat. Fast, fun sporty. I still average 32 mpg, important especially now with gas at $4 a gallon. I have put 16K on in 10 months. I expect it to last me to 250K miles, as long as you perform proper maintenance. I have done a few small upgrades & am seeing even better mpg sometimes, no need to buy a new Honda. But will buy another again. Thanks Honda for doing what you do best, building some of the best cars in the world.

Favorite Features

Rally style shifter, back to its roots with the hatchback. MPG, performance gearing, seats. Limited numbers, rarely seen, people always ask what it is.

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone else the K20A Type R would be more fun, but you would sacrifice mileage.

Love the K20
By Mr Green

2002 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far I have had 3 Si's. A 1992, 1993 and 2002. I love the feel and styling of the '02 hatch Si. Great car as usual. Thanks Honda for doing what American car manufaturers have failed to do.

Favorite Features

It's got to be the shifter. Unique and very user friendly.

Suggested Improvements

The radio was a little below my expectations. Could use a sound upgrade in the future.