2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Still fun and practical
By lrxst on 12/12/14 16:06 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car longer than any other by far (over 8 years now). It handles predictably, and has held up pretty well over the years. It's not a common model, so people look at it and kind of scratch their heads. The clutch lasted 90,000 miles, and was a little over a $1,000 to replace at an independent shop. Other than that, it's been mostly routine maintenance. Unlike earlier models, this engine has a timing chain instead of a timing belt, which is a great benefit on upkeep and the little 2.0 seems pretty much bulletproof. The shifter is different than most cars, but I'm not sure why other cars don't have it there in the center. Typical Honda, carefully laid out, and it all still works.

Lookin good
By Tanja on 06/02/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

SI is a civic all grown up with all the bells and whistles. Had a 95 with 145000, ran perfect when I sold it. Just rusted. This car has good pick up even in fifth gear. Gas mileage is decent, use the cruise control. Better features inside, cup holders etc. than older models.

Great MPG!!!
By Irishndn22 on 04/23/09 18:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was the second owner of this car, the previous people decided it needed some upgrades but never completed with a turbo (pity). I drive 30 miles one way to work and get on average 32-35 mpg, can't beat that! I have never had any major problems with the car, would recommend to anyone looking at a Civic Si of this style or anything with good MPG.

It's a Honda!!!!
By ToughStar on 05/22/08 20:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car 8 months now. I commute about 100 miles a day & this thing cannot be beat. Fast, fun sporty. I still average 32 mpg, important especially now with gas at $4 a gallon. I have put 16K on in 10 months. I expect it to last me to 250K miles, as long as you perform proper maintenance. I have done a few small upgrades & am seeing even better mpg sometimes, no need to buy a new Honda. But will buy another again. Thanks Honda for doing what you do best, building some of the best cars in the world.

Love the K20
By Mr Green on 06/19/07 10:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far I have had 3 Si's. A 1992, 1993 and 2002. I love the feel and styling of the '02 hatch Si. Great car as usual. Thanks Honda for doing what American car manufaturers have failed to do.

Great car for what it is
By Love My SI on 02/09/07 19:23 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Civic Si 3 years ago. I have had absolutely no problems with this vehicle. transmission is amazing, clutch feel is great, handling is excellent for a front wheel drive. Understand its a civic, and while it's the performance model of a civic, it's power is only moderate or a bit lacking by todays standards. gas mileage is great and reliability is fantastic.

Civic Si (K20a3)
By 93Octane on 11/12/06 16:48 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

People may bash it for its styling, but over all the civic si is a great car. Its very comfortable, has a very good sound system, does great gas mileage (if you drive it nice) and it was a extremely powerful heater! Mine is the "mustard" gold color and man does it turn some heads. People think that the "Dash Shifter" is ridiculous but it is honestly very comfortable to use when driving. It's got more than enough power for you to have fun with. Although it doesn't have "True Vtec" its i-vtec design is very good giving the car good power in all gears. No need to down-shift from 5th on the highway to pass someone, it still pulls like a train giving you easily enough power to pass something.

Don't believe the Hype
By Tacoboy on 06/14/05 22:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The auto mags all bash this great car for not having 200hp and 17" summer rubber, but for real world city commuting this is one of best cars you could buy. Unlike many Hondas the Si engine is very flexible. You can round slow corners in 3rd gear and pull right up to speed with no fuss. The short gearing means that on the highway you can leave the car in 5th and still get great passing power. The engine is also willing to pull hard right up and through the 6875rpm redline for those times you are able to. In the handling department the Si remains very entertaining at 7 to 8/10ths. Turn in is sharp and the understeer limit is high enough to keep it fun in the twistys.

I should have kept my cavalier
By Ineedanewcar on 05/01/05 16:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the car for about 2.5 years. I have not had one mechanical problem with the car witht the exception of the check engine light. My gas mileage is horrible and the resale value is disappointing. I bought the car knowing that I would put a lot of miles on it and I figured its a honda it will hold its value. NO it doesn't my care is worth about 7500.00 that is rediculous considering other cars are going for higher in the same year and style of this. I would buy a honda again just b/c they are awesome cars and run forever. Just not a Si.

Fun little car
By lovemysi on 03/02/05 23:40 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I bought this car a year ago used with 43k miles, it now has 57k miles and still runs and drives great. Still getting really good gas mileage and not too many squeeks or rattles. Really love the seats and shifter. Factory radio sounded good but I replaced the speakers and now it sounds great. My car was lowered when i bought it, it handles really well especially around high speed corners. Not really in anyone else's review but the headlights really put out a lot of light at night, almost as much as the expensive hid systems.