2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great car
By mnk716 on 07/30/12 16:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new 1/2002. It has been the best i have ever owned. Great performance even though only 115hp. Good in all weather and rarely gave me any issues. Recently traded it in at 175k miles as the A/C went and i didnt want to pay to fix it though it would have went for another 100k miles. Great MPG and reliability. Traded it in for a BMW 328i which is what i always wanted but i felt so bad trading it in.

In Love With This Civic
By Katy on 03/13/09 20:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! I never have any trouble starting it even in very cold weather, it handles great in the snow, it can be kinda noisy but I can live with that. The best part is that I get 36 mpg in the city and close to 40 on the highway! I've always loved Hondas for their durability and longevity and this car is no exception!

Honda = Chrysler now
By Honda NoGood NoMore on 06/03/08 09:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new with 6 miles on it and drove it for 5 years (80,000) miles. Reliability and Honda service was terrible. At 35,400 miles, third gear synchro went out on manual transmission. I have been driving manuals for 25 years and I have a CDL and I never burned out a clutch or damaged a tranny. Fixed under warranty but never shifted right again (grinded and clunked when going into gear) and shifter was VERY stiff and VERY difficult to down shift. Took back 4 times and dealer said it was fine!? Called Honda Corporate and wrote letters, no help at all. All 4 struts went out at 40,000 miles too ($1300). Road noise terrible, factory tires rated worst on tirerack and hydroplaned very badly.

Tuned 2002 coupe
By Leszek on 05/04/08 22:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I did only 15,000 miles on it, but I know the car since it was 1 year old. That 1.7 liter engine was almost all the time pushed to the redline. The car was tuned a little bit, but it was almost like glued to the road when cornering. 0-60 is about 8.5\9 sec. I owned a manual transmission and I had to rebuild it (with 90k miles on it) but only because of track use and power shifting ($1000). Around 90k miles I had to change all front bushings ($450) and shocks ($300) everything else works perfectly. I have experienced an accident on highway going about 60mph and I can tell you that the car is very safe. It just started to burn about a half quarter of oil for every oil change. Mobil 1 5W-20

Great car
By hondadriver on 05/09/07 03:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car about 100 miles a day and it does great. It gets better gas mileage than expected, 37/42. A little less with 5 passengers.

good all around
By pacey on 01/10/07 16:29 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

i've had my car for 2 months now and have had no issues. lots of fun to drive, very good on gas. its not the fastest car on the road but is easy to pass cars on the highway. looks are excellent, audio is great.

Great Car
By gary b on 10/02/06 12:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car... Never a problem... great gas mileage... good pickup on freeway ramps... great value for the money

Honda's May Last Forever, But...
By HKI4EVR on 01/06/06 16:24 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know what Honda was thinking when they designed the interior of the Honda Civic. They may run forever, but what is the point if you hate driving it? I have had to replace my stereo twice, my vents vibrate up and down as I drive, when the vents are set to come out at the floor only, I have to shut the rest of my vents to get all the air to come out only at the floor, and now when I push the button to turn on my rear defrost, my radio stations go fuzzy. Not only that, but what brilliant engineer thought that putting cupholders on the other side of the shifter would be a good idea? And what is the point of having an armrest that interferes with the driver's ability to shift?

Exceeded Expectations
By chuck1hogs on 02/16/05 11:08 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Leased car due to special promotional deal...have driven it from KS to Los Angeles 2 times now and was impressed with the mileage, comfort and trip performance on all types of driving conditions and roads, mountains, etc..great car..no problems at all in the 3 yrs we've had it...ride is a little stiff, but thats just a Honda..the residual value is so cheap, we are purchasing it outright when the lease expires next month!! Great car.

Losing it's shine
By Scooterberrycrunch on 06/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no major mechanical problems with this car in 21k miles in 20 months, but it is literally losing it's shine. The paint seems kind of dull, I always thought it was applied rather thinly. Way too easily chipped and the body panels are showing lots of dings from rocks and parking lot incidents. Doesn't take much. My biggest concern is the rattle from the dash. It used to be intermittant but is now a constant nuisance. My car and a friend's '03 both share the same rattle from the exhaust near the muffler.