2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Satisfaction going from point A to B
By Rob on 05/25/09 04:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent RELIABILITY is the bottom line here along with the NOTORIOUS Honda expected longevity makes it what it is, a great ride. Being a Civic it is not the luxury liner, but who wouldn't know that getting into it from the start? Works for me just fine as I am 5'10" 210#, anyone much larger would most likely make this model too small. Highly recommended for what it is. Change the oil, tires, maintain it as recommended and keep it clean and you will be a happy camper.

Good Car - Not Perfect
By AtTheLake on 02/10/09 19:42 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Drive train and suspension are rock solid after 135K miles. Great gas mileage. Would buy another, but can't say the car is total nirvana. Had little things go wrong, fuel sender and interior light switch malfunctions at 40K and more usual stuff fail later on, but overall a decent little car.

Perfect for a 1st time driver
By Smart Wins on 02/03/09 10:24 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car approx. 3 months after I got my license almost 3 1/2 years ago, and I was smitten when I got behind the wheel. If your a 1st time driver, or a person who just wants a car to drive, and isn't concerned with "fun" driving this car is 100% perfect for you. But for myself, now I want more power, and huge fun factor when I'm driving, so off to the '08 G35x

Very impressed
By phillyg_16 on 12/19/08 16:13 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my civic w/ 105k miles and have put 50k miles on it since. I love it. It handles very well in the snow (we get lots in MI), and gets great mileage (an average of 32 city & hwy). It's been very reliable. It blows my mind that it has 155k miles on it and it still drives like it's new. Plus, I put 12 gallons of gas in it and it takes me 400 miles.

Near Best of the Best
By Paul on 08/31/08 14:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned 3 Honda's before this one, and this one tops them all. I bought this EX used and it has not had one single engine problem in 1 year. I am 5'11'' and it fits me like glove in front and back. Besides the manual clutch jamming very rarely, its a smooth ride. It is slightly loud on the road, but you learn to ignore it because it can keep up with any car on the road. On a trip to LA I drove 70 mph and got 33.33 MPG over 410 miles. When I drive slower I get about 35 mpg. This is a great reliable car! My next car will be a NEW civic whenever that day comes. :)

Honda Fan
By Asa in Atlanta on 07/26/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 Civic EX in Sept 2005 to replace my 1990 Civic EX that had been wrecked. The 2002 Civic had 85,800 original miles and now has 148,200 miles. I drive an average of 1800. This car has been excellent mechanically with no major problems. Gas mileage has been fabulous for an automatic: generally 33-34 in mixed driving. I averaged 36.5 on a 2500 mile trip in 2007 driving 65-70 mph. Only con is noise. I recommend putting premium tires on the Civic. My performance and handling greatly improved; the noise diminished as well.

Diamond in the Rough
By Sammy B on 07/06/08 19:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car brand new. Nothing bad except for my older brother tearing up the clutch after only 40,000 miles, but that's his fault not the car. This is car has so much potential no one knows about or understands. A lot of people think the civic is another foreign car thats saves gas. Did you know most of the parts on the civic are made in the US than there are on a cavalier? I don't think an American counterpart can compare to this vehicle. It may not be twin turbo-ed, or have a supercharger, but the VTEC can get the car to keep up with many others out there.

A quality car
By rstuart on 07/03/08 14:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Civic a year ago used and it has been such a quality car. We have the 5 spd and it regularly gets 30 mpg in the city. We have not had a single problem with the car and it is 6 years old already! The interior is high quality, especially considering this used to be Honda's entry-level car. Yeah, it isn't the most comfortable car to ride in or the most quiet, but after a while you don't notice it anymore, or you just naturally forgive the car because it takes care of you at the pump and by not breaking down. If there is one thing I would change on the car, it would be the A/C. It just can't cool the car down on a day when the temp is over 100 degrees. Our next car will be a civic!:)

Puddle water shakes passanger side wheel
By Nick on 02/11/07 18:03 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a reply to an earlier post. I had the same problem as Scott...Does anyone else have this problem with the 2002, Honda Civic EX, 4dr, 5 speed Man. When driving through puddles the water splashes on the exhaust and has a loud noise, the noise you would hear if a car had no exhaust. As it dries, 30 seconds, it goes away. Honda knows of this issue and calls it a "characteristic of the car". They said not to worry and left it at that.

Solid and Reliable
By Ted on 12/26/06 20:14 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Solid performance but conservative styling sums the car up. I have had virtually no problems with it in almost 5 years of ownership. Mileage has been from 35 to 40 mpg in freeway commuting. Scheduled maintenance has been a big improvement - (much less frequently needed than my previous car). The ride is a bit stiff compared to my wifes Honda CRV.