Honda Civic 2001 - Driving for the long haul
By longhaul2001 on
2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)
My 2001 Honda Civic LX 4-Dr has gotten as high as 40 mpg driving to MN from IA. My 1st year, a rubber piece on the front of the car fell off after 2000 miles (threw it out). Brand new tires would slip on damp pavement (got rid of original Firestones within weeks of purchasing). By year two, the transmission was shifting roughly and my mechanic used white grease to improve the action. Headlights burn out frequently (replaced 6-8 times). After 5 years, the electronics for the windows blew and had that fixed (not just a simple fuse problem). The struts & bushings failed. Besides all this, I have rolled over 180,000 miles & it has been reliable on many road trips.
Favorite Features
The car gets 40mph on the highway depending on conditions. The price of $15K over 11 years ago has long since been paid for. I've driven over it over 180,000 miles. It has quite a bit of trunk space compared to my wife's newer 2011 Subaru Impreza hatchback. It has been our go-to car anytime we are looking to save money on gas.
Suggested Improvements
Please improve on the quality and longevity of parts to include the transmission, struts, bushings, electronics, headliner (had to staple in place after 10 years), and please put better tires on new cars (not cheap and might I add dangerous Firestones that slip on slightly damp surfaces). Overall, this Honda has served me quite well albeit with some expenses in the past decade of owning it.