2001 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Great Vehicle But Now Uses Som

2001 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Review

Great Vehicle But Now Uses Some Oil
By davewdmia on

2001 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

The only complaint I have now is that my vehicle now has 130K miles on it, and I have to add about 2 tenths of a quart of oil to it every 2 weeks or so. It never used to use any oil, and does not appear to be leaking any oil onto the driveway, so I am unsure where it is leaking, or if it is using oil. No apparent leakage from the valve cover gasket either. If a reader knows about oil leaks with this vehicle, please respond to my ad. Otherwise, this has been the most dependable vehicle I have owned, with little maintenance.

My Honda Civic was a great buy with 51K miles on it for $6750. I had to add cruise control for another $450. Great winter handling and good acceleration. Much better acceleration than the Toyota Corolla, but not quite as good of gas mileage as the Corolla. I owned a 1988 Corolla with 212K miles on it that finally gave out.

Front end makes some popping noises when I hit bumps, but recently replaced some parts on the front end.
By danwat1234
on 07/25/12 21:58 PM (PDT)

Increase the viscosity of the oil from 5w30 to 10w30 and oil consumption may go down for you. If not then up to 10w40 but no heavier.