2001 Honda Civic 1.7L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Decent performer for the money

2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Decent performer for the money
By Jimbo on

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car as a performer really isnt anything to write home about. The handling is ok (lots of body roll is the main problem) but it could be a lot better. The steering, clutch and brake pedal feedback are minimal, and the steering is about the lightest of any car I have driven, which I personally don't like. There is a decent amount of power for a 1.7 liter engine, but its all WAY up in the RPM range. Because of that, the gears are very close (75 mph in 5th= ~3400 RPM). However, as a commuter car, this is a very good car because it is incredibly reliable, and gets impressive gas mileage, despite the high RPM it turns for a given speed.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is more of what i would like to see from Honda. The styling is reserved, yet unique at the same time. Moonroof is nice to have. Overall stability is good with decent tires. For the price and low maintenence/cost of driving it is a decent performer.

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer suspension and a more useable powerband. My review is somewhat biased, because I am used to driving a 1998 Camaro Z28 with the handling package, which is an entirely different world. The car is actually my mom's. I just though i could offer a perspective from a person whos driven it all.