2001 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Not what I expect from a Honda
By fehansen on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a 1992 Accord EX sedan and loved it so when I was looking for a new car, I figured I couldn't go wrong with another one. This civic has been horrible. There is a real problem with the front end. Almost every 6 months, I need new struts oup front, I've had the control arm replaced and the control arm bushings replaced. Honda has upped the warranty on the struts to 200,000km. I guess they recognize there is a front end problem with the 2001's but instead of fixing it, they are prepared to throw free parts at it for the time being. Free parts are nice but it's a real headache to take a new car in for surgery every 6 months.

Major regrets
By who knew? on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car hoping for good gas mileage and reliability and have been disappointed on both counts. The front struts have been replaced once already and probably need to be replaced again, given that it sounds like a gunshot has been fired everytime I go over the smallest bump in the road. Interior is very cheap - the cover for the door handle falls off about every week and has no screw to keep it in place. It is basically an embarrassment to let anyone ride in this car. Gas mileage is average (25-30mpg), at best.

A car you always have to think about...
By vinbone on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Don't be fooled by Honda's claim that you're buying a car "you never have to think about". Quite the opposite. Both of my 2001's had a multitude of problems, small some large: (1) Transmission major downshift and late shift issues, fluid burn, power loss. (2) Rotors need cut every 10,000 miles. (3) Gas gauge reads incorrectly. (4) Window motor locks up. (5) Fog lights crack repeatedly (poor design, lenses too thin). (6) Front end vibration. (7) Call pulls to right, even with alignment & new tires. (8) Front bumper and roof moulding issues. (10) Rear brake squeak. (12) Gas mileage 6 mpg worse than claim.

Great Economy Car
By civicpam on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Civic brand new my senior year in college and it has been a great car for the low budget. It is reliable and gets great gas mileage. The comfort of the car leaves a lot to be desired. Especially uncomfortable on long trips (at least in the front-I don't know about the back). But, a good car all- around.

Poor Build Quality of '01 Civic
By TeTea on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I was very disappointed with the EX 2001 Civic model. Since I've owned the car I've had soo many quirky things go wrong on the car. My window motor doesn't work properly, the consol light is tempermental. Recently my trunk and gas tank release lever decided to not work anymore. Forget about the paint, just brush against the car and it will chip. Also, not long after I purchased the car, I noticed rust spots on the hood of my car.

Fun and Economical
By jaydelynne99 on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Never had any problems with the vehicle. Would like a little more storage on the interior for maps and cds. Ride is quite bumpy but you can expect that from any small car. Really fun to drive. From all the reviews I've read, you can't beat the quality and value of this car.

Sold on Honda
By CivGirl01 on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I am extremely happy with the 2001 Honda Civic LX sedan I recently purchased. It had low mileage and was in excellent condition. The engine is responsive for a 4 cyclinder compact car and the interior is roomy. After extensive research, I found Honda vehicles had the best reputation for reliability and customer satisfaction. The 100,000 mile/7 year power train warranty is impressive, and the dealership also included a full warranty for 12,000/1 year due to it being a certified used Honda. I had a great experience working with the Honda car salesman and am very happy with my purchase.

consumer review
By consumer review on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car based on Honda's reputation for quality and reliability. The Civic runs well and performs as expected. However the car has more rattles, squeaks and noises than I ever imagined. The integrity is very poor. The dash rattles match the domestics and is far worse than past Honda's I have known. The ride is rough and the driver/passenger feel every road imperfection. Road noise is considerable for this car. Aside from the noise and rattles, the quality seems to be good. I have 40,000 miles on it now and plan to trade it because I am dissatisfied with the overall build quality. I believe I will look at alternative vehicles.

Disappointment
By csteer on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought our Civic with high expectations. I love the engine and gearbox. The suspension is comfortable, although not a sporty as I would like. The car is roomy and enjoyable to drive. HOWEVER, the build quality is terrible - From the moment we got the car is needed a new radio, and a clunk in the front suspension still exists after 3 attempts to repair. The front seat has had three attempts at repairing it - the bushings fair after 6 months. Hmmm... what else - oh yes, the window regulator has been replaced, the engine computer reprogrammed to stop the car stalling... Not what I expected from a Honda - I am very disappointed

Excellent Economy Car
By Snowman1090 on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have an automatic and I must say that it is a great car to drive around town. It is compact and easy to drive. It gets great gas mileage and it has enough room inside for the size of the car.