Used 2001 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Tranny Woes
By DAWN

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Buyer beware. I have a 01 Honda Civic with 54,000 miles. Bought it new. It is certainly not an an abused car with about 8,000 yr average miles, far less than the standard 12-15,000 a year. I have maintained my car, had an extended warranty for 3 more years. Isn't it funny how cars are built to collapse right after the warranty! My trany just blew and I have to spend $2,500 out of my own pocket. This happened to another friend of mine at about the same amount of mileage.

Good on gas

My 3rd Honda Civic
By sunshinedaydream95

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I first had a '93 Civic coupe that lasted me 8 long years, then an '04 Civic hybrid, and now I bought this one in March '07. I bought it used with 72K miles on it, and I now have about 84K. When I bought it, I put new tires on it, new alignment, new water pump, and new timing belt. It has run perfectly the entire time I've had it.

Reliability - this is my 3rd Honda and my next one will probably be one too. Gas mileage is great, and I'm very familiar with all the controls and such inside. I really like the sound system - factory sounds great. I like the cupholders much better...these ar built-in vs. cheap pop-ups in my '03.

In my '93 & '01 Civics, they've both had trunk leaks. The one in my '01 started about 4 or 5 months after I got it. It's bad b/c I can't really use the trunk unless I don't mind stuff getting wet. Also the power windows stick badly-can't roll the drivers's side all the way down or it will stick

Not A Very Reliable Car!
By Steve

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I also bought the Civic for its reliability, but the overall experience has been somewhat of a nightmare. It all started when the struts went at about 65,000miles. Then at 85,000 miles alternator went. Then at 93,000 miles the switches to the windows went. The lining in the bck is coming apart over the rear passengers. The SRS light came on around 124,000 miles because of the seatbelt buckle. Now the big kicker the transmission is going at around 126,000 miles 5th gear pops out for no reason at all while driving. From what I read from other reviews, I will needing a new transmission. If that is the case the car is getting traded in!! I will never buy another Honda!

Gas mileage

Make a more reliable transmission, struts, switches, alternator

Wow- if I were in college
By Mike

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This little car has taken me everywhere, anywhere. I'm USAF, and I've driven this car coast to coast twice. Right now, she and I are in South Korea. Before we left, I had her totaly checked over. Comments from the professional mechanic: "Your car is nearly brand new..." (2007). She has been great. If the hybrid got a lot more milelage I would think about switching. Until then, I'll see you in Seoul! Mike

Reliability, seems luxurious for its price, smooth platform.

Difference between Civic and Prelude was not enough to go 6K plus in cash. Lines between the two is becoming blurred. I am looking for some more refinement next and want some real difference between the two.

Honda Civic Nothing But Trouble
By DJ

2001 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Honda with 30,000 miles on it. It now has 147,000. I have never had such a disappointing car in all my life. The struts went out at 60,000. The air conditioner went out at 85,000. I had multiple oil leaks repaired. The engine burns about 1 quart between oil changes. Also had electric windows repaired and bushing replaced multiple times. But the worst problem has been replacing the transmission, it died at 130,000.

Sunroof.

Need to improve reliability. I will never get another Honda.