Used 2001 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

The Little engine that could
By Freddie Kwok

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I brought this car brand new. Right now, this car has 132K miles. I never have any mechanical problem with this car. I usually take this car for long road trip. For instance, I would drive from Camden, Maine to Key West, Florida with this car. I usually get 42 MPG on highway (I-95). 40 MPG from Pennsylvania to Kentucky (Appalachian mountain man) No one cuts me off. I am usually the one that does that. Now, this car has really small engine, but timing is the key, you gonna know when to press the gas pedal and turn your blinker when you are doing 80 mph on the highway.

Favorite Features

Responsive steering wheel, it is really fun to drive. It saved my life for many times on I-95. No kidding. I have Bidgestone Potenza tires to compensate the lack of ABS in my car. It worked.

Suggested Improvements

I have issues with the suspensions of the car, but hey it is an inexpensive car. Make this little car tougher Honda!

Love this car!
By Heidi

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2003 at a Ford Dealership. It was so cute. It is fun to drive, and have had NO mechanical failures. The only thing is that it goes through headlights about 4 times a year. Also, other vehicles have no respect for this little beauty. Every day, some one is cutting me off. Best car I have ever owned, I will definitely buy another Honda. My VIN begins with a 1, so it was made in America, my friend's Ford was made in Canada...go figure. Husband prefers driving it just because of the gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Cute, sporty, great gas mileage, love the sun/moon roof,

Suggested Improvements

Trunk opener on the remote

2001 Transmissions Have Ruined Honda
By tmspiege

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I received this car willed from my great-uncle and have treated it well for 6.5 years. I've been diligent in regular maintenance. Then, out of the veritable blue, my transmission suffered a catastrophic failure en route to work two days ago. The auto tranny would not engage into gear and the engine would simply tach up with no acceleration when I hit the gas. I called Honda USA to get them to extend a goodwill repair to me, but they are refusing. I'm looking at a $2000 repair for a manufacturing defect...and Honda's not willing to admit the mistake or provide the customer support to alleviate the cost to me. 2001 transmissions across every model have been notorious for this sudden failure.

Suggested Improvements

Make a reliable transmission and provide adequate customer support to those suffering with a defective vehicle.

Best Car Ever!
By 2001 Honda Civic A++

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used about five years ago with 42,000 mi. I now have 172,000 miles and it is still going strong. I have delivered pizzas in it for almost five years, and have driven it to 40 states, some more than once. I did have some major transmission problems at about 140,000 miles and had to pay $1750 to fix (I hear this is a common problem with this model year). Besides this though, I have NEVER had to fix ANYTHING apart from normal maintenance (tires, brakes, battery, spark plugs). And I mean NOTHING. It has never left me stranded- even when the tranny went out it made it to the mechanic. This car also gets GREAT gas mileage- between 35-40 mpg. You can't do much better than this car!

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage, easy to drive, low maintenance cost, very roomy for a small car, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Seems like a lot of people have had the same problems with the transmission- gets dents and dings easily, a little bit noisy to drive, suspension weakens quickly, instrument panel is a bit dim.

Tranny Woes
By DAWN

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Buyer beware. I have a 01 Honda Civic with 54,000 miles. Bought it new. It is certainly not an an abused car with about 8,000 yr average miles, far less than the standard 12-15,000 a year. I have maintained my car, had an extended warranty for 3 more years. Isn't it funny how cars are built to collapse right after the warranty! My trany just blew and I have to spend $2,500 out of my own pocket. This happened to another friend of mine at about the same amount of mileage.

Favorite Features

Good on gas