Used 2001 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

It's my baby
By Dallas Beaumont

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a private seller with 84,000 miles on it, little did I know that the car sustained sub- frame damage but was corrected. My transmissions clutch started to go at 125,000, but that was because the previous owner drove it hard and didn't take care of it. Other than that, this car rocks. I get 45 miles to the gallon and the interior is soft and sleek. This car is extremely reliable and the engine purrs quietly like its brand new and drives like its new. Make sure to replace all the engine and timing belts for long lasting performance. Switch to Mobile 1 synthetic blend. I own an automatic, buyer beware! 2001 was not the best year for this transmission. Go with a manual.

Favorite Features

Reliability, its comfortable, a lot of leg room for tall people. Gas mileage is awesome and its great fro driving in snow. Go front wheel drive!

Suggested Improvements

Horsepower.

Great car!!
By SEBA

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the best car that I ever had, never any mechanical problem, great on gas.

Favorite Features

very cheap to maintain it, mpg

Suggested Improvements

arm rest for front seats.

Nothing but problems!
By Do not buy!

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well bought my civic used and with 65,000 miles. At 77,000 miles the steering rack started leaking and needed to be replaced. All 4 struts blown at 90k miles. Headliner just coming apart and dome lights holding up material. Now at 140,000 miles mainshaft bearing in manual trans and second gear syncro. Had to replace transmission. I have been very gentle to this car and it has just turned into a money pit.

Favorite Features

gas miles

Suggested Improvements

quality

Honda's don't last forever
By COLOCPA

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned this Civic for over 3.5 years, bought it at 60k miles and now has 132k miles. Haven't had many problems with the vehicle during this time, replaced brake pads and drums and that is about it. I bought this car based on Hondas reputation and the low operating costs (good gas mileage, doesn't require a lot of repairs). I would definitely not buy a civic again. The ride is very bumpy and it isn't a fun car to drive. Also, the transmission went out at 132k miles and to repair would be over $2k. The car is barely worth that much and needs new tires, struts, and engine work so it is not worth repairing.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, was rarely in the repair shop.

No worries
By fremontcivic

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2001 and have only changed tires, oil and wipers. Not a single thing has needed repair on this car. I wrecked a civic SI and bought this car with the insurance check. I drive it very hard and it just won't break. Great car.

Favorite Features

refusal for anything to break

Suggested Improvements

stronger motors for the power windows