2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
2001 Transmissions Have Ruined Honda
By tmspiege on 04/21/08 07:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I received this car willed from my great-uncle and have treated it well for 6.5 years. I've been diligent in regular maintenance. Then, out of the veritable blue, my transmission suffered a catastrophic failure en route to work two days ago. The auto tranny would not engage into gear and the engine would simply tach up with no acceleration when I hit the gas. I called Honda USA to get them to extend a goodwill repair to me, but they are refusing. I'm looking at a $2000 repair for a manufacturing defect...and Honda's not willing to admit the mistake or provide the customer support to alleviate the cost to me. 2001 transmissions across every model have been notorious for this sudden failure.

Best Car Ever!
By 2001 Honda Civic A++ on 03/29/08 00:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used about five years ago with 42,000 mi. I now have 172,000 miles and it is still going strong. I have delivered pizzas in it for almost five years, and have driven it to 40 states, some more than once. I did have some major transmission problems at about 140,000 miles and had to pay $1750 to fix (I hear this is a common problem with this model year). Besides this though, I have NEVER had to fix ANYTHING apart from normal maintenance (tires, brakes, battery, spark plugs). And I mean NOTHING. It has never left me stranded- even when the tranny went out it made it to the mechanic. This car also gets GREAT gas mileage- between 35-40 mpg. You can't do much better than this car!

Love my Honda!
By Amber on 03/06/08 17:26 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of 2 Hondas I have owned. I have also owned an Accord that I sold with 250K. I bought my Civic new in 2001 and I have over 120K on it now. My grandfather would not let me park my foriegn car in his drive way even though the radiator was built locally. I have had zero repairs. I don't follow the maintenance schedule, and I have beat it up a little. It is a zippy little car for heavy traffic but powerful enough for highway traffic. I use synthetic oil. It isn't as comfortable as my old car (Pontiac) and the timing belt maintenance was expensive, but I am still extremely happy with it. I plan to drive it into the ground and I will probably buy another.

Beware
By nikkib on 03/02/08 16:48 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cCvic used with 58k and immediately began having problems. First electrical(my headlights stopped working, after i fixed that i had to replace the struts (which were completly shot) at 65k then the wheel bearings, then with only 100k on it the tranny blew. I was lucky and it only cost me 2k for a used tranny. The SRS light is on and the dealership says my airbags don't work, drivers side window motor is starting to go out, the suspension needs a new axle and struts again. I would personally look into buying either a 2000 or older Civic if interested unless you like throwing money away. Great gas mileage and doesn't leak oil yet, knock on wood...

Tranny Woes
By DAWN on 01/14/08 11:36 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Buyer beware. I have a 01 Honda Civic with 54,000 miles. Bought it new. It is certainly not an an abused car with about 8,000 yr average miles, far less than the standard 12-15,000 a year. I have maintained my car, had an extended warranty for 3 more years. Isn't it funny how cars are built to collapse right after the warranty! My trany just blew and I have to spend $2,500 out of my own pocket. This happened to another friend of mine at about the same amount of mileage.

My 3rd Honda Civic
By sunshinedaydream95 on 01/02/08 12:03 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I first had a '93 Civic coupe that lasted me 8 long years, then an '04 Civic hybrid, and now I bought this one in March '07. I bought it used with 72K miles on it, and I now have about 84K. When I bought it, I put new tires on it, new alignment, new water pump, and new timing belt. It has run perfectly the entire time I've had it.

Dependable?
By Bob on 12/16/07 22:37 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in March oh 2004 and it already had 115,00 miles on it. Being a Honda, the miles didn't bother me since I had a 1990 Accord that was still going strong with no problems. However I must say this car has not been as good as the old Accord. It needed front struts on it only months after I got it. The a/c compressor went bad shortly thereafter. Now the alternator needs replaced. However I will say the car now has 148,000 miles and still doesn't leak any oil or burn it either. I change it every 4000 miles and never have to add any oil between changes. It has an automatic tranny that is beginning to slip,only when it's cold for now. Hoping to get 200,000 before it bites the dust!

Not A Very Reliable Car!
By Steve on 11/27/07 16:44 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I also bought the Civic for its reliability, but the overall experience has been somewhat of a nightmare. It all started when the struts went at about 65,000miles. Then at 85,000 miles alternator went. Then at 93,000 miles the switches to the windows went. The lining in the bck is coming apart over the rear passengers. The SRS light came on around 124,000 miles because of the seatbelt buckle. Now the big kicker the transmission is going at around 126,000 miles 5th gear pops out for no reason at all while driving. From what I read from other reviews, I will needing a new transmission. If that is the case the car is getting traded in!! I will never buy another Honda!

Wow- if I were in college
By Mike on 11/11/07 23:06 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This little car has taken me everywhere, anywhere. I'm USAF, and I've driven this car coast to coast twice. Right now, she and I are in South Korea. Before we left, I had her totaly checked over. Comments from the professional mechanic: "Your car is nearly brand new..." (2007). She has been great. If the hybrid got a lot more milelage I would think about switching. Until then, I'll see you in Seoul! Mike

Transmission rebuild at 80K
By arlene on 09/27/07 20:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Civic for its reputation for reliability; buying an '01 and getting the first year of a new model turned out to be a bad thing. Got a great price on a cute little red coupe that, honest to God, had only been driven 3K miles in 2 years by a little old man. Couldn't believe my luck, loved my car very much and planned to buy another new Civic someday, until the transmission suddenly mangled up and died for no reason at 80000 miles. Three thousand dollars in repair costs that I can't afford. According to what I've read online, the '01's tend to do this to people. Thanks a lot, Honda, you've lost a future customer. Toyota and VW look pretty good right now!