Used 2001 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Bullet proof reliable
By habz24

2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 civic couple lx new. I bring my baby to the Honda hospital for every oil change and inspection required. The only thing I've changed on my car in 8.5 years are wiperblades, not even a lightbulb. The suspension isn't the best, feel every bump pretty much, but completely bullet proof car.

Problems! And More Problems!
By B.J.

2001 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with only 70k and it's the worst Honda ever made. Don't get me wrong, I love Hondas and I've had two previous little civics that have lasted me well over 200k. But wow I never thought that Honda would fail me, till now. Had to fix transmission at 75k! I have older Hondas with more miles and with the original tranny! Had to change the muffler cuz it rattles really bad every time u go over a water puddle. Lots of road noise and rattles. Changed both bearings. AC is weak! Overall only thing worth is the style of the car, but that really fooled me. Terrible car, and this is coming from somebody with a civic forum acct as well. Be careful. Worst Honda ever! Do the research, trust me!

Favorite Features

Style, interior, handling, mileage.

Suggested Improvements

TRANSMISSION!, road noise, road uncomfortable. Tires, rattles. A/C.

Good overall car
By Brian

2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been quite reliable, never stranding me anywhere. It is somewhat sedate, but that has kept me from getting any tickets in it. This is a benefit in the cost of ownership, which had been very reasonable. I got 96,000 km out of the original tires, the brakes last forever, and oil changes are cheap (compared to my diesel f250). It has had a few minor issues, but I will cover that in the suggested improvements.

Favorite Features

Economy has been pretty good, with a combined mileage, but mostly city, of about 33mpg. Cost of ownership is low.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission does not like to kick down to first once it is already rolling. It tries, but hesitates, and seems to have trouble between gears. Had to replace the shocks way earlier than I should have. I have gone years without changing the CD, but it is now not ejecting properly...

Honda's reputation comes through
By Nate

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Good reliable car. With regular maintenance and responsible ownership, I've never had any major problems. Great gas mileage! Seems to be built well, and is easy to fix and modify if necessary, both internally and externally. I hope to continue driving this car for years to come.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. Very reliable. Easy and relatively cheap to fix. With standard, responsible maintenance, has and should continue to run for a long time! Fairly comfortable, and somewhat fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice to have rear disc brakes and a little more power, but the newer models have those features already.

Suspension is crap
By boxter76

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought brand new, careful maintenance, still issues. 20,000 miles - both front struts replaced under warranty. 90,000 miles - all 4 struts replaced, $900 cost. 100,000 miles - catalytic converter, 2 oxygen sensors, front control arm bushings replaced - $1500 cost. SRS light went off due to faulty drivers' side seat belt buckle, dealer replaced under lifetime warranty of safety equipment. 120,000 miles - rattling started and at 40+ miles/hour sounds like I'm flying a plane. Many suggested here that wheel barrings are out. Never left me stranded, but starting to require more than preventative maintenance.

Favorite Features

Good basic transportation

Suggested Improvements

Improve suspension