Used 2001 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Excellent vehicle in its class.
By pato

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great fuel efficiency, clean engine, a basic instrument panel and performance and reliability never matched by any American-designed subcompact or compact class cars. Over 35K with no major repairs (except for brakes and regular maintenance).

Favorite Features

Panel simplicity and moon roof. Ergonomics, economy and reliability. Good mechanics.

Suggested Improvements

Interior panel gaps (rattling). I believe its due to temperature changes and poor fitting and looseness after first few thousand miles.

Great first sporty economic car
By Car picky

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I am very picky with cars. This was our second car in the US, we had it for 49000 miles, until the last day we loved its look, very reliable, car exterior is a little flimsy can be dented very easily. Very stingy in gas (+). For a supposedly sport car performance is low. Extremely uncomfortable for me 62. Rear seats are almost useless. Suspension is jumpy and uncomfortable. Overall definitely recommended.

Favorite Features

Looks, looks, looks. Gas consumption. Very reliable. Mantains value

Suggested Improvements

Suspension should be improved to make it softer and less jumpy. Performance could be better. Rear seats are useless so why not make front seats go further back. Sound system.

Front-end gremlins ruined a great car
By Cygnus

2001 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This was my third Civic. Had some quality problems when new - sticking map light, weak cassette player wouldn't play tapes. Apart from that, it was great - fun to drive, great mileage. At 40,000, front end starts making noise. 2001 Civics are plagued with front suspension problems. New tires, alignment, no better. Noise got worse, warranty was up, had to get rid of it. Bought a Saturn Ion. Shape up, Honda, or more people will leave.

Favorite Features

Steering, shifter (best in business), interior quality, fun to drive, smooth engine.

Suggested Improvements

Acknowledge the front end problem (no recalls or bulletins despite many owners' issues on this and other sites). Improve build quality, or move production back to Japan or Canada (other two Civics were made in Japan and Canada and had NO problems whatsoever, this one made in USA).

Satisfied but desire more attention
By cabano

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 Civic new. I love the gas mileage and I find the car to be quite peppy. The styling is decent (interior and exterior.) The car has quality but for a Honda compact sedan I would expect a bit more. First, my insurance has gone up because Civic's are expensive to repair. I am not to impressed with the Firestone Tires which were bald after 30,000 miles. The car is noisey at high speeds and uncomfortable for driver and passenger on long trips. Occassionally the brakes squeak, and just recently my gas tank release lever stopped working and I couldn't get my gas tank open.

Favorite Features

Handles well, great gas mileage, controls are neatly arranged, fun to drive, five star crash test rating, decent reliablility

Suggested Improvements

More power, better tires, more comfortable seating, less road noise, and better sheet metal on exterior (it dents too easily!)

I thought Honda was the best
By DoBetterPls!

2001 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We thought the perfect car for my husband and then pass it on to my teenager, but we noticed it did not handle good and the suspension is horrible. very disappointed to find that there is a defective part in the transmission. Had to go back and forth to dealer to find out. The sensor light would go on and off. disappointed with my 2001.

Favorite Features

Sporty look and beautiful black

Suggested Improvements

Honda should take entire responsibility for defective parts. Better tires.