Used 2001 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

just what I needed
By D Brown

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love Hondas. I've owned many cars over the years and nothing I've had compares. I got this after my '87 Accord LXi finally died. This one is the right mix of sportiness and practicality for me. I've never been a 4-door guy before, but with two small kids now, it makes sense. Installing their car seats and getting them in and out is a breeze. A five star crash rating, ABS, and good handling are all pactical plusses. The roominess for its class is outstanding. I'm 6'3" and am quite cofortable behind the wheel. The VTEC gives me almost as much power as I'd like and the acceleration is enough for me to pass with confidence.

roominess, exterior styling (very streamlined, mine has a great window tint job, titanium is a beutiful color), trunk large enough for a sub box with two 10"s and room to spare for other things, moonroof, smooth shifting automatic, visibility...best car in class...period

EX model should have come with alloy wheels as opposed to cheap plastic wheel covers...a few more horses would have been nice...fuel economy good but could be better.

Reliability and dependability
By pokeweed

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The high gas mileage (35-40 mostly highway) is the main reason I bought this Civic LX, also because of safety crash tests. This year's ridiculously high gas prices make me laugh at Expeditions and other big SUVs. Reliability has been perfect, replacing only a few filters, at 99000 miles. I still have original brake pads! I'll need a new timing belt soon.

This car's automatic transmission is much better than my 87 Accord's

Acceleration could be a little bit better. Better fuel gauge sensor. Much better sounding car stereos and speakers, please.

Reliability Champ
By edmcohen

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

After 103,000 miles of trouble-free, inconvenience-free driving, this car seems as good as it was when new. I had some of the same trivial build-quality shortcomings that others have described in these early new-generation Civics. I did have to replace one of the rear suspension links with an after-market adjustable link, to get a correct suspension alignment. (I would rather do that, than not have independent rear suspension.) While I covet the detail improvements of the subsequent Civics, I do not see enough reason to replace this car any time soon.

Very decent ride, handling and quiet. Great operation and efficiency of the automatic transmission--my first in forty years!

Just what has been added in newer ones: 15" wheels, center console, and better appointments.

dang honda
By yellowstoneman

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

beautiful car but it rattles more than my 83 dodge pickup. the body is way to easy to ding. Dealer fixed most of the rattles but they keep coming back. test drove a 04 accord right off the lot it rattled. only get 32 to 38 MPG at 65 try 80 and it drops to 28. the thing is so noisy on long drives i leave it home and take my van. my wife loves this car but it will be my last honda. not near as fast as my 93 accord in streight line or around corners. I wish i had bought a toyota. at 56k miles it has a great resale value but it leaves me cold.

the body style and the deep blue color

elimintae the rattles and road noise. i replaced the lousy firestones wiht michelins and it still has more road noise then my ranger

A fantastic car!!!
By cas11

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

A great car overall! Would buy again in a heartbeat! Up to 44 MPG on highway.

Solid exterior look/design. Very comfortable seats on long trips. No hump in floor of back seat. Hard plastic gaurd over trunk rim is perfect for slidding heavy containers in through fold down back seat.

Add a storage armrest upfront. Build dashboard tighter to reduce shimmy sounds. Make air conditioner provide colder air.