Used 2001 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

DRIVE ON
By NASAGUY

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great fuel economy even for a lead foot. I drive 80 mph 195 mile round trip 5-6 days per week. The car has 207,000 miles. Just had second timing belt installed which included water pump, ouch $$$. The first time didn't include water pump. This vehicle still has the original brakes and clutch, so Iíve saved $$$ there. Suspension has been repaired with aftermarket parts, as further adjustment wasn't available to maintain camber. This car loves tires, Michelins have held up the best over firestone and Goodyear, so that's what Iíll put on next. At 6'5" 290 lbs I fit better than any other small car. A center armrest would have made this a luxury car for me.

Well, this is an economy car. Not a car would have purchased, say, if I only lived 10 miles from work? Ok, reliability, function and fuel economy.

Stronger suspension for road warriors, hey, isn't that why most people by a small car, long commutes? A center armrest could save me some neck & shoulder problems. The passenger seat is a little too high for an armrest. Better fuel economy can't be too hard. 1970's Datsun got 40mpg, of course 50 hp.

Great Student Car
By kSpriss

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good first car. I bought it off a family member. Fuel economy is EXCELLENT, highway driving can see upwards of 45 MPG. The engine is weak at low RPMs, and passing power isn't the greatest. This isn't too big a deal for a relatively gentle driver for myself. Steering is EXCELLENT; the car is very nimble and easy to steer, with a very logical and intuitive feel to the wheel. I always feel in control of the car.

Fuel economy, space (for economy car), steering, transmission, climate control system, looks.

ABS isn't available on LX. 2001 Body trim has some interior trim problems (door panels, rattles) and the seats are very hard. Honda fixed these by the 2003 model.

Tops in the Class!!
By pff

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced a '97 Civic LX for this lease return. Styling, space, interior conveniences and power/tranny combo seem better than the '97. Suspension not as responsive & sone additional road noise than the '97. Overall a fantastic West Coast Canadian commuter. Very pleased. PS Still own a '90 Accord EXR for longer road trips.

Styling, seating comfort, fuel economy, interior layout and overall driveability are exemplary for a compact.

ABS brakes for wet pavement.

Very Reliable Car
By Miyah

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because I wanted a reliable ride and that is exactly what I got. It does have rattles as other reviews point out and that's annoying, but that is about it. It rides nicely and I get 38 highway and about 29 to 30 in the city. Not too bad. The ride is extremely smooth. My next car will most likely be another Honda.

Love the control layout. Very easy to reach the controls that I used most often.

Engine noise can be loud when merging onto a highway and it needs the rattles fixed.

Solid
By wildkard58

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my family's 5th Honda (4 Civics) and we are not disappointed. We knew what we were getting. Of course we could have saved $3K-$4K buying a Sunfire\Cavailier or Hyundai but the resale, reliability and quality is not even close to the Civic. Not a problem from day one. For road trips, this may not be the ideal car but it'll be good on gas. On the performance side the 1.7 4 banger is lacking a bit in power and performance compared to competition (Mazda3, etc.). Just imagine the Civic with the Accord or CRV 4 cyclinder engine.....are you listening Honda?

Good gas mileage, reliability and quality

More interior space, give the Civic the Accord and CRV 4 banger