2001 Honda Civic DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
I expected better from Honda
By CrackerJack on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a long time believer in Honda but the 2001 Civic DX has really let me down. Apart from the small things that keep breaking...(gas cap release, peeling upholstery, constantly locking seal belts, the biggest dissappointment has been the pathetic suspension. The MacPherson struts had to be replaced at 30K. Now at 45K I am faced with having them replaced again. Honda has been very good at fixing everything under warranty, but I'm going to trade the car in, because things aren't going to stop breaking when the warranty runs out!

Total disappointment
By C@W on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car because I did a TON of research on safety, reliability and gas milage. I never bought a new car before and wanted to be sure I got the best car to drive my infant daughter around in. The first thing that aggravated me was that the fuel economy, which was a HUGE factor in my decision, was listed at 30city/38hwy - WHAT A LIE. I get about 25-28. I have brought it to two dealerships at least 4 times to ask them to find out why the milage is so low - they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Then I had several manufacturing defections, including a wire that opens the fuel hatch that had snapped. I can't wait to trade this in.

Civic LX 2001
By maria1 on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I always wanted to buy the civic ... not any more. Car had so many problems. I could not belived it ... car was in shop almost every month. I had to wait 5 weeks for parts first time car broke (some computer problem), next time car broke I wait 6 weeks for air-bag sensor.The honda service was terrible. They totally do not care. I sold the car few weeks ago - what a relife. I done with honda.

I love Lucy
By SLPE on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My car's name is Lucy. It is an easy drive, handles well, has lots of room and gets great gas mileage. Does not have any problems (that I know about) and I'll happily drive Lucy for the next 10 years.

Is Honda now controlled by accountants?
By pwp on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 EX after my 92 LX was totaled in an accident. The ride and noise level are much poorer in the 02 than the 92. Honda has also substancially cheapened the quality of many of it's body and suspension components while improving on some mechanical items such as the engine and auto transmission. Gas mileage is also much poorer than the 92 LX. After 2 years of owning this car, I still miss my 92 LX.

Honda's Done It Again!!!
By Honda Driver on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The Civic EX is a great commuter car. Fun to drive, great on fuel, comfortable and low maintence costs. After more then a year of driving and over 68,000 miles, I've only had to change the tires and the breaks. This is a great car for someone on a budget or who's just looking to have a car that just doesn't break down!!!

watch out for falling snow
By a little aggravated on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I would have to agree with some of the other reviewers who say that even Honda does not make a perfect car. There are little idiosyncrasies that you have to either get used to or get rid of the car. I guess every rose has its thorn.Last winter we didn't get much s New England. This winter we have. Now I know that my car's trunk is designed to dump any and all precipitation on the top of the trunk directly INTO my trunk when I open it. This is particularly fun when you are coming home with twenty bags of groceries. Because paper bags and water do not like each other very much.

A Favorite with Flaws
By Peter12345 on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The LX rides well in the city. On country roads and freeways the sound of the road comes through the floor, annyingly so. The body feels as sturdy as a box; it literally feels like a go- kart with panels. It's been quite reliable in terms of the engine, but the body is falling apart. The exterior panels are so thin and the electrical windows are poor in quality; the passenger window sticks in open position when it's humid or raining. A fun ride with definite flaws.

lovin' this car!
By sparkie on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first car that i own. i drove my dad's yukon xl for a year, but the gas mileage was killing me! my black honda civic is running great and taking good care of me in the snow and ice. this mileage is awesome! i've put over a hundred miles on the car in the last two days and only used a quarter tank of gas. the inside is larger than a jetta (my other option) which is nice, and for a small car, it's roomy.

Honda-perfect for communting
By StillintheHill on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have an hour commute to work every day, and my Honda has made this affordable. It is reliable and fuel- efficient, and I love to drive it! My car handles wet and snowy roads as well as dry ones, and I never worry about getting stuck anywhere in it. When I need speed to get out of a pinch, there isn't a problem. This car gets me comfortably where I need to go.