2001 Honda Civic DX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2001 Civic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Sort Reviews by

Honda Reliability is a joke
By Gregw

2001 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a new Civic lx 4 door 5 spd in March 2001. The problem I am having is the car won't idle after it warms up. If you come to a stop & put the clutch in it dies a large percent of the time. I returned it to the dealer they tell me it is a computer program problem and it will be 3 months before they can fix it with a new program. I have talked to Honda Motor Co they are not at all helpfull. I told them that the car is dangerous to drive. I had never owned a Honda prior to this car, I will never own one again.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, side air bags, large trunk, Styling

Civic LX coupe (CO8 Racing)
By eomsux

2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car isn't that bad, but it could use quite a bit of improvement, the handling is horrable, the seats are the most uncomfortable thing Ive ridden in, the front windsheild fogs up evrytime it rains. The only way I feel you can make this car fun to drive, is to modify the hell out of it, start with the suspension.

Favorite Features

This car is great on gas and not a bad car to drive in the city, and highway.

Suggested Improvements

Get more comfortable seats, add more torque, make a stiffer suspension, don't put the cheapest tires in the world on this car, 4 wheel disk, roof mount antenna(radio reception sux)

So Far, So Very Good
By tcd

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

As a newly married couple, we found the Civic to be a fantastic value. It offers a very smooth ride, great new looks, nice (not great) acceleration and offers a security of reliability that not many other manufacturers can offer. We feel this was a great buy!!

Favorite Features

Great New Look Interior is well designed Smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Better acceleration (its good, but not great)

Excellent economy car
By Luc

2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My second Honda. Never had any major problems. The only problem my dealer discovered with my 2001 model was a leaky shock absorber in the front which was replaced under warranty and a tendency for the transmission to jump out of the second gear which as apparently addressed by my dealer with an improvement kit but is still happening from time to time. Great on gas milleage.

Favorite Features

Economy, sporty handling, value for money

Suggested Improvements

Road noise, smoothness of engine at about 3500-4000 rpm. Better tires should be provided.

civic is fun to drive
By beelzebuba

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car because I wanted something economical. And that is what the Civic is very economical. I average 31-33 MPG which is great considering that I drive mostly in the city. But what I like most is how responsive this car is. It is almost unbelieveable how when you hit around 3000 RPMs and you can feel and hear the VTEC working hard. Great car overall!

Favorite Features

VTEC!

Suggested Improvements

More headroom! I am 6'2" and the roof is a bit close for my taste.

No Heat On My Feet
By BrianWilkins

2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it's a good car, but Honda has been less than helpful with service. I have been called a problem by my dealer and told by Honda corporate that having no heat come out of the floor vents isn't a problem (I live in Buffalo,NY - it's a problem). So if you want to stay warm in winter, look elsewhere.

Favorite Features

Overall designof the exterior. Looks great. Clutch is much smoother than other small cars I have tested.

Suggested Improvements

Honda could do a lot better job at being nice to it's customers.

great car for the money!
By alem100

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 2-door EX coupe, auto. w/side a-bags, metallic silver. I've had no problems mechanically at all with the car. I've noticied a couple of my fellow reviewers mention dashboard noise &/or rattling inside the cabin. I have never heard any noise up to this point; in fact, the cabin is very quiet. I like the convenience features that came standard like the sunroof, A/C, cruise control (HUGE help since I drive long distances frequently), power windows etc and ABS. Fuel efficiency is excellent, especially on the highway.

Favorite Features

The styling of the front 2/3 of the car, the dark interior, the silver accents, the improved A/C and heating efficiency, the nice acceleration on the highway, the 6-speakers instead of 4, the silver color.

Suggested Improvements

ALLOY WHEELS!! I got some 15" Honda 7- star alloys from a friend and put them on my car and the car looks SO MUCH BETTER!! No light in the glove box and coin box is a bit annoying and definitely nix the fruity speckles on the seat cloth and just go with plain dk. grey or black cloth.

excellent
By azn boi

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent Car I own one and i think it is a wonderful car to drive around town with. I love Honda!

Favorite Features

VTEC

Suggested Improvements

VTEC

A car with attitude
By LMad

2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The 2001 Civic coupe is a reliable car that is fun and somewhat sporty. It is sensible but still has its attitude.

Favorite Features

I like the way the dash is set up. The placement of the cd player and temperature controls are very easy to see and touch.

Suggested Improvements

More Power!It has enough, but more is always fun. The LX only has ten less horsepower the new EX, but it can be up with them no problem. Mine is an automatic, but it still manages to go to 40 in first. A manual would be even faster.

Working Woman
By cashort

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I am a working woman, driving from Avon to downtown and back at least once a day. My Civic coupe is a joy to drive everyday. It makes being in the car fun! It handles wonderfully both on the highway and in heavy stop- and-go traffic downtown. It usually gets 35 miles to a gallon. I've had it almost a year and it's still as gorgeous as the day I bought it. It has never once give me a problem of any sort. It is roomy, sleek, and sexy. I have owned many cars and it is my favorite.

Favorite Features

Valet key for downtown parking is wonderful! I can keep important things in the trunk without worrying someone has access to them. The moon roof makes it feel like summer all year long.