Used 2001 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Is this car really a Honda?
By Jesse

2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Note to all looking for this car... it falls apart at 80k. Period. I've had to replace the tranny ($2800), another timing belt/water pump/tensioner ($850), shocks ($880), resently. My opinion is that shocks and a tranny should last more than 80k especially on a honda. I almost have more money into this car than I could trade it in for in only the last month. I can't believe Honda would put thier name on this heap...and I maintained mine good too.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

It's gutless. I hear from all three of the mechanics I spoke to that they are finding the trannys going on these at about 80k. Every mechanic (5) I spoke to noticed this.

Love it
By Emmy

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

i can't imagine saying anything bad about this car. i recently purhcased it and i love it! the ride is awesome, it drives as smooth as my father's bmw. it is comfortable, and the back seats are suprisingly roomy. the gas mileage is great and the styling is too. I was used to driving a 92' volvo station wagon, so the styling couldn't get much better if you ask me. it has been very reliable and seems quick on the road. i love the interior, and while driving, the car is very quiet, there was one rattle, but the dealership took care of it for me. other than that, the car makes barely any noise at all. overall a great car!

Favorite Features

sunroof, armrest, cupholders, styling

Suggested Improvements

n/a

Decent performer for the money
By Jimbo

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car as a performer really isnt anything to write home about. The handling is ok (lots of body roll is the main problem) but it could be a lot better. The steering, clutch and brake pedal feedback are minimal, and the steering is about the lightest of any car I have driven, which I personally don't like. There is a decent amount of power for a 1.7 liter engine, but its all WAY up in the RPM range. Because of that, the gears are very close (75 mph in 5th= ~3400 RPM). However, as a commuter car, this is a very good car because it is incredibly reliable, and gets impressive gas mileage, despite the high RPM it turns for a given speed.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is more of what i would like to see from Honda. The styling is reserved, yet unique at the same time. Moonroof is nice to have. Overall stability is good with decent tires. For the price and low maintenence/cost of driving it is a decent performer.

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer suspension and a more useable powerband. My review is somewhat biased, because I am used to driving a 1998 Camaro Z28 with the handling package, which is an entirely different world. The car is actually my mom's. I just though i could offer a perspective from a person whos driven it all.

01 Civic Coupe
By Jesse

2001 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a lot. This car is great for a person who does so. The few problems I have run into are... seeing the "blind" spot - the pillar is in the way for a head check; uphill power with the automatic tranny - have to put it into passing gear; space inside - always bumping elbows; boring - it's a car that is really nothing special; not enough places to stash your stuff like sunglasses etc. The upside... it's inexpensive to own. 30+ mpg, low cost to buy. It was just as expensive to insure as my 2001 4x4 Tacoma which I thought was odd. Overall, I wish I had bought something with more personality even if it had cost a few bucks more.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Make this car more interesting! It needs an updated dash. Re-gear the automatic version to handle hills better.

Good commuter
By HXowner

2001 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Although I rarely get advertised 39/44 city/h-way mileage, it consistently provides more than 30 mpg without noticible lack of power. Going to the hills is another subject though... Handles nice and very nimble. Haven't had any mechanical failures yet, but been having problems with warping rotors. Dealer insists that it is my driving, but when it consistently happens in less than 8,000 mile interval on the same wheel, I suspect the otherwise. But there isn't a sure way to prove it... Overall, a great performer for what it's worth. So far it only consumes gas, oil, air and break lining.

Favorite Features

Clutch and shifting mechanism... Car shifts nice and crisp out of factory and cluth is very precise.

Suggested Improvements

Different tires would be nice. I changed tires after reading horrible reviews and it makes a world of difference. Perhaps it should have been so from the factory. Further more, how about a bit lower profile tires?