2001 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Decent car but safety hazard without ABS
By bruce on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is an OK car but feels a little tin canny and like a go-cart (not in a good way). My major complaint is braking on wet pavement or lack thereof. This car will go into a slide every time. And this is with brand new tires. ABS is a must. No way I'm letting my kids use this car unless I know it'll be dry outside. It even spins out when accelerating lightly on wet roads. You really have to baby it. If it has to climb while doing so forget about it. Another complaint is that the headliner fell apart at about 100k.

212k, still going, but not cheap
By Racerxmachv3000 on 07/21/10 11:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car new to commute 80 miles a day. Overall its been a good car, but over the course of the last year, I've spend at least the value of the car in repairs to keep it on the road. It's needed a new manifold (cracked at 70k), radiator, shocks, springs, bushings, end links, manual transmission, on top of the maintenance items like brakes and tires. I've also had a recurring problem with the spark plug coils that blow fairly regularly, however my mechanic has been able to replace this under his warranty. The motor still runs like new or close to it so I've continued pouring into the car since I have a hard time justifying a new car with such a long commute.

Horrible Honda
By Ray on 04/23/10 12:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The only thing good about this Honda is the mileage. I bought it new in 2001, and will never buy another Honda. Air dam fell off until I finally threw it away. Gas filler mechanism fell apart within 2 weeks. Drivers power window fails to go up when it rains. replaced wheel bearing at 40,000, engine mount at 50,000, headliner fell down around 50,000, left control arm at 65,000,rear defroster doesn't work, Manual transmission needs overhauled at 90,000. Right control arm is also shot at 90,000. This car has been nothing but a mechanical money pit. Worst new car I have ever bought. Don't buy the Civic.

Great car!!
By SEBA on 02/22/10 07:06 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the best car that I ever had, never any mechanical problem, great on gas.

No worries
By fremontcivic on 12/05/09 11:58 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2001 and have only changed tires, oil and wipers. Not a single thing has needed repair on this car. I wrecked a civic SI and bought this car with the insurance check. I drive it very hard and it just won't break. Great car.

Disappointed
By Deb on 11/17/09 22:37 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Hondas, I've driven my share, but this may be the last one I own. The last two Civics had front end problems. The one I have now, has a rear main seal leak, which I'm not happy to hear at this point of owning this car. I can't pull all the way up to the curb because I may pull the entire front end off when pulling away because it sits way too low.

Best car ever
By Seba on 07/10/09 07:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My wife bought this car new back in 2001, it now has 136K miles, never any repairs just regular service like, spark plugs, timing belt, trans service, brake pads and regular oil change every 3-4K miles, great car for the money. Great gas mileage. It still fills like the fist day.

Love this car
By Average Joe on 06/06/09 14:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving this car for 155000 miles.... not a single repair; only scheduled maintenance. Absolute performance isn't great, but if you factor in the gas mileage and engine displacement, it's quite good and all I really need for around the town driving. Interior is holding up extremely well for its age. All the trim pieces are as tight as the day I bought it and the soft touch material on the dash exudes quality. The ride is very smooth though the wind and engine noise can be slightly obtrusive at high rpm and speed. Lots of rear leg room and large trunk. This car has aged like fine wine whereas my old Saturn SL1 aged like stale beer.

Beware of Transmission Problems
By JasonM on 05/21/09 12:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission had to be replaced at 63,000 miles. Do your research online and you'll see that the 2001 Civic (and the V6 Accord) have the transmissions go bad frequently well under 100,000 miles. Additionally the SRS light may go off due to faulty seatbelts (mine did). Lastly, as is often the case for Honda, the brakes need to be replaced a bit more frequently than other car manufacturers. This is all coming from a die-hard Honda fan with multiple Civics. Go ahead and get a Honda, just don't get a 2001 Civic (2002 wasn't much better).

2001 Honda Civic LX Automatic Sedan
By MotorStreet on 03/08/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The Civic is overall a good car, but the 2001-2005 Civic wasn't a really a good Civic. This version was a little too boring and the 4 speed automatic in our car makes it irritatingly slow and the reliability wasn't as good as expected. It hasn't been mechanical problems, but problems with quality. The plastics felt flimsy all along and the seats got worn out and small tears. Another issue is the shocks, which wear out and make the front end bounce under braking and acceleration. The brakes aren't good either, they take a long time to stop the car and the LX doesn't have ABS. These Civics are dependable economy cars, but the 2001-2005 versions don't impress in enough other ways.