Used 2001 Honda Civic LX Sedan Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Worst Car I've Owned
By Anonymous

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Maybe I was one of the unlucky few who got a lemon, but this is by far the worst vehicle I've ever owned. I'm currently driving a Toyota and would never go back to a Honda out of pure fear.

We purchased this car used in 2014- we had to have it rewired immediately after purchase. $200.
2000 miles later all the valves bent while driving on the 101 and stalled in the middle of the freeway. $500.
2000 miles later the spark plugs went out. Began overheating. $75
3000 miles later the transmission started slipping and going out. The Engine light turned on. Read as a misfire to cylinders. Over heating was off/on.
500 miles later head gasket blew. Overheated stopped. $500.
500 miles later began over heating again.
200 miles later head gasket blew again and the radiator, fan, and switch needed to be replaced $400.
2000 miles later the radiator began to leak and we had to fill the car up with water up to three times a day.

The car had been maintenance by my mechanic: oil changes every 3k miles, tire rotation every 6k miles, topped off fluids after every oil change, etc.
The car broke this fast after so little use. We did end up selling it after only driving it 10,000 miles.

The appearance of the car, however, was spotless! Easy to clean and maintain- the car looked brand new up until the day we sold it.
This car and I had a love/hate relationship. I loved it when it worked- when it didn't I hated it.

Will personally stick with my Toyota! I'm sure Honda Civics are lovely cars, but I would personally stay away from the 2001 model.

Wouldn't trade it for the world.
By Andrew Kusterer

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Civic back in 2005 with roughly 55,000 miles on it. It currently has 165,000 miles. Up until 150,000 there were rarely any problems aside from the general maintenance and the airbag/seatbelt recalls. Around 150,000 I had to change the driver side CV axle assembly as the boots were leaking lubricant.

The worst thing about the interior is that the headliner is drooping which started about four years ago.

The car is currently running well and I look forward to the next 100,000 miles.

Gas mileage 35+ MPG. Enjoyable drive. Decent acceleration for car class.

Improve the headliner installation to prevent sagging.

Decent car but safety hazard without ABS
By bruce

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is an OK car but feels a little tin canny and like a go-cart (not in a good way). My major complaint is braking on wet pavement or lack thereof. This car will go into a slide every time. And this is with brand new tires. ABS is a must. No way I'm letting my kids use this car unless I know it'll be dry outside. It even spins out when accelerating lightly on wet roads. You really have to baby it. If it has to climb while doing so forget about it. Another complaint is that the headliner fell apart at about 100k.

Nice looking car. Not much maintenance required so far although the timing belt replacement was not inexpensive at about $500. But you can't skip it because of the interference head.

ABS is mandatory on such a light car. I'd replace the car if I could afford to.

212k, still going, but not cheap
By Racerxmachv3000

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car new to commute 80 miles a day. Overall its been a good car, but over the course of the last year, I've spend at least the value of the car in repairs to keep it on the road. It's needed a new manifold (cracked at 70k), radiator, shocks, springs, bushings, end links, manual transmission, on top of the maintenance items like brakes and tires. I've also had a recurring problem with the spark plug coils that blow fairly regularly, however my mechanic has been able to replace this under his warranty. The motor still runs like new or close to it so I've continued pouring into the car since I have a hard time justifying a new car with such a long commute.

mileage, average around 33. interior room, nice motor but not easy to add after market parts on the LX version

stronger transmission, better suspension parts

Horrible Honda
By Ray

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The only thing good about this Honda is the mileage. I bought it new in 2001, and will never buy another Honda. Air dam fell off until I finally threw it away. Gas filler mechanism fell apart within 2 weeks. Drivers power window fails to go up when it rains. replaced wheel bearing at 40,000, engine mount at 50,000, headliner fell down around 50,000, left control arm at 65,000,rear defroster doesn't work, Manual transmission needs overhauled at 90,000. Right control arm is also shot at 90,000. This car has been nothing but a mechanical money pit. Worst new car I have ever bought. Don't buy the Civic.

Gas mileage is great

Fix the mechanical problems. May need to start over with this car