Used 2001 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Wouldn't trade it for the world.
By Andrew Kusterer

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Civic back in 2005 with roughly 55,000 miles on it. It currently has 165,000 miles. Up until 150,000 there were rarely any problems aside from the general maintenance and the airbag/seatbelt recalls. Around 150,000 I had to change the driver side CV axle assembly as the boots were leaking lubricant. The worst thing about the interior is that the headliner is drooping which started about four years ago. The car is currently running well and I look forward to the next 100,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage 35+ MPG. Enjoyable drive. Decent acceleration for car class.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the headliner installation to prevent sagging.

Not all it's cracked up to be
By r_berkhei

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Civic Ex in 2010 with 100k on the clock. The car I find completely uncomfortable. Visibility is good, but feel like safety scores are a joke and why wouldn't they put a 5th gear in the thing! Average about 34mpg. Replaced motor mounts within the first year. Then at 50k came the transmission repair. Even though I extensively researched this car, surprise, 2001 honda's frequent tranny problems! Had to get it rebuilt twice. Then all new rotors and wheel bearings (routine I know). Then 1200 dollars in oil leaks, and now a V-tech error and an o2 code. I use Mobile 1 and change it every 5k and always do suggested maintenance. Just feel like its a POS, "but it's a Honda!"

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

live up to your "quality car" expectation!

Money pit
By ttemp

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I got the car 3 years ago with 115K on the odometer. Instantly invested 2000$ and replaced almost all suspension, motor mounts, power steering pump, timing belt, water pump. At 120K the transmission suddenly died. I replaced it. Now car has 180K. Water pump replaced, wheel studs replaced on 3 wheels. Having electric problems now. This car has good MPG, but requires constant repair.

Too many problems @ 144K miles
By dragonsssix

2001 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used almost 10 years ago and it has ~144K miles. I did rev-up quite a lot to its readline (6800rpm) - most of ~144K miles are highway except for the last couple years which I put maybe ~5K miles during 3 year period. I started to have lots of issues for the last year or two: - has crack in exhaust header - gears are slippery above 3000 rpm Good thing about the car is that: - engine is still strong - brakes are really good (haven't replaced, yet no sign of wear) - pretty good gas mileage

Best Little car ever!
By peanut12538

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2001 brand new, I have taken it to a Honda dealer for all maintence. I love this car and it has never let me down. With 140,000 miles all I have done is very basic stuff and things that wear out like timing belts, brake pad, I've done my oil, brake fluid, and tranny fluid as needed and this car has never gievn me a bit of issue or trouble! It has been one very well built little car! If you follow the owners manual I think you'll be very happy with this car.

Favorite Features

Great Gas Mileage and reliable to the core!

Suggested Improvements

More padding in the seat!