Used 2001 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Awesome first car!
By Alex

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Worst Car I've Owned
By Anonymous

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Maybe I was one of the unlucky few who got a lemon, but this is by far the worst vehicle I've ever owned. I'm currently driving a Toyota and would never go back to a Honda out of pure fear.

We purchased this car used in 2014- we had to have it rewired immediately after purchase. $200.
2000 miles later all the valves bent while driving on the 101 and stalled in the middle of the freeway. $500.
2000 miles later the spark plugs went out. Began overheating. $75
3000 miles later the transmission started slipping and going out. The Engine light turned on. Read as a misfire to cylinders. Over heating was off/on.
500 miles later head gasket blew. Overheated stopped. $500.
500 miles later began over heating again.
200 miles later head gasket blew again and the radiator, fan, and switch needed to be replaced $400.
2000 miles later the radiator began to leak and we had to fill the car up with water up to three times a day.

The car had been maintenance by my mechanic: oil changes every 3k miles, tire rotation every 6k miles, topped off fluids after every oil change, etc.
The car broke this fast after so little use. We did end up selling it after only driving it 10,000 miles.

The appearance of the car, however, was spotless! Easy to clean and maintain- the car looked brand new up until the day we sold it.
This car and I had a love/hate relationship. I loved it when it worked- when it didn't I hated it.

Will personally stick with my Toyota! I'm sure Honda Civics are lovely cars, but I would personally stay away from the 2001 model.

Would by this car again.
By Willie Santos

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Good gas mileage.

worst civic ever made
By jason

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I was very excited to buy and own this car brand new from dealer. it wasn't until about 85000 miles the problem started. I started to lose the overdrive over a period of 5 to 10 thousand miles. The transmission would shudder while transfering gears from 4th to overdrive lockup. The check engine light then appeared with 2 codes, 0740 tcc circuit lock up solenoid and a honda specific code related to the ELD unit in the fuse box. I brought to the dealer, after auto shop said they can't repair that trouble code. The dealer plainly says that i need a new transmission even though the car drove fine, outside of the overdrive failure. I waited 2 years trying to decide if i should spend 3000 dollars on something that honda should repair, or take a loss and trade or sell it. Just when i decided to have them replace the transmission because the car was still in great condition and low mileage another problem, which i found is another common problem occured. The instrument panel now fails and find out that it will cost about a 700 to 1000 or more to repair. After researching online about honda's since 2000, that they have become one of the top ten worst cars to own. I will never again buy a honda

Perfect Car for High School Student
By Honda=Reliable

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I'm 16 and spent the entire summer looking at cars on TrueCar. When I turned 16, I got this car for my birthday. Honda is one of the car manufacturers that I trust. I haven't had any issues with it. It's very practical. The trunk is larger compared to some big sedans. The rear seat can seat three people comfortably. The car gets 30 MPG. I love this car!