2001 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Not all it's cracked up to be
By r_berkhei on 02/05/13 03:43 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Civic Ex in 2010 with 100k on the clock. The car I find completely uncomfortable. Visibility is good, but feel like safety scores are a joke and why wouldn't they put a 5th gear in the thing! Average about 34mpg. Replaced motor mounts within the first year. Then at 50k came the transmission repair. Even though I extensively researched this car, surprise, 2001 honda's frequent tranny problems! Had to get it rebuilt twice. Then all new rotors and wheel bearings (routine I know). Then 1200 dollars in oil leaks, and now a V-tech error and an o2 code. I use Mobile 1 and change it every 5k and always do suggested maintenance. Just feel like its a POS, "but it's a Honda!"

Money pit
By ttemp on 01/12/13 16:29 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I got the car 3 years ago with 115K on the odometer. Instantly invested 2000$ and replaced almost all suspension, motor mounts, power steering pump, timing belt, water pump. At 120K the transmission suddenly died. I replaced it. Now car has 180K. Water pump replaced, wheel studs replaced on 3 wheels. Having electric problems now. This car has good MPG, but requires constant repair.

Too many problems @ 144K miles
By dragonsssix on 12/05/12 15:59 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used almost 10 years ago and it has ~144K miles. I did rev-up quite a lot to its readline (6800rpm) - most of ~144K miles are highway except for the last couple years which I put maybe ~5K miles during 3 year period. I started to have lots of issues for the last year or two: - has crack in exhaust header - gears are slippery above 3000 rpm Good thing about the car is that: - engine is still strong - brakes are really good (haven't replaced, yet no sign of wear) - pretty good gas mileage

Best Little car ever!
By peanut12538 on 05/09/12 21:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2001 brand new, I have taken it to a Honda dealer for all maintence. I love this car and it has never let me down. With 140,000 miles all I have done is very basic stuff and things that wear out like timing belts, brake pad, I've done my oil, brake fluid, and tranny fluid as needed and this car has never gievn me a bit of issue or trouble! It has been one very well built little car! If you follow the owners manual I think you'll be very happy with this car.

Best bang for your buck!
By cycleguy1979 on 05/03/12 14:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car almost 4 years ago, after heavily researching it. It had 120k miles on it when I got it, now it has 208k. It consistently gets 34mpg city/hwy, and 36 all hwy. Get the 5 spd manual, I hear the auto is gutless. The front seat is ok, but for a 6'3" tall man, i'm basically in the back seat. The engine purrs and has been 100% trouble free. Kinda loud at 75mph, this is basically a tin can on wheels. It's a great commuter car but as far as road trips forget it. I just took a 3k mile road trip and my wife and I were very uncomfortable. I'd buy another one in a second for commuting. Honda cars are the best for reliability and fuel mileage.

Honda Civic 2001 - Driving for the long haul
By longhaul2001 on 04/05/12 09:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Honda Civic LX 4-Dr has gotten as high as 40 mpg driving to MN from IA. My 1st year, a rubber piece on the front of the car fell off after 2000 miles (threw it out). Brand new tires would slip on damp pavement (got rid of original Firestones within weeks of purchasing). By year two, the transmission was shifting roughly and my mechanic used white grease to improve the action. Headlights burn out frequently (replaced 6-8 times). After 5 years, the electronics for the windows blew and had that fixed (not just a simple fuse problem). The struts & bushings failed. Besides all this, I have rolled over 180,000 miles & it has been reliable on many road trips.

its okay, not my other hondas
By josentoski82 on 08/02/11 06:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my 01 for two years now, i bought it from a friend who was the original owner. It gets great gas mileage and i have put 50k on it in 2 years. seats are comfy, had the same air damn issues. and the struts are horrible. original owner had the tranny rebuilt at 130k to the tune of 2000 bucks. so you would think good to go. nope just turned 201k and the tranny is out AGAIN. Not on par with my 98 accord that had 235k original engine and transmission or my beloved crx. It has never left us stranded but i can tell that there is alot of common issues people are having. i was going to buy another civic but i am now thinking twice. spending $2100 in 2 years on issues not a great deal to me!

Nice car
By joe on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Civic with 40k on it. I had to replace the headliner because it was sagging. I am a hated car salesman so I do get a big break on items I also replaced struts a few and cabin filter. The car does very well in the snow and gas mileage is excellent. I paid 5500 for it. I will replace timing belt soon. I am very happy with this car

Decent car but safety hazard without ABS
By bruce on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is an OK car but feels a little tin canny and like a go-cart (not in a good way). My major complaint is braking on wet pavement or lack thereof. This car will go into a slide every time. And this is with brand new tires. ABS is a must. No way I'm letting my kids use this car unless I know it'll be dry outside. It even spins out when accelerating lightly on wet roads. You really have to baby it. If it has to climb while doing so forget about it. Another complaint is that the headliner fell apart at about 100k.

212k, still going, but not cheap
By Racerxmachv3000 on 07/21/10 11:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car new to commute 80 miles a day. Overall its been a good car, but over the course of the last year, I've spend at least the value of the car in repairs to keep it on the road. It's needed a new manifold (cracked at 70k), radiator, shocks, springs, bushings, end links, manual transmission, on top of the maintenance items like brakes and tires. I've also had a recurring problem with the spark plug coils that blow fairly regularly, however my mechanic has been able to replace this under his warranty. The motor still runs like new or close to it so I've continued pouring into the car since I have a hard time justifying a new car with such a long commute.