2001 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
It lasted only so long
By maxwellbirch on 03/05/14 09:49 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got the car used and the tranny slippes and the gears popp out. Im a little hard on my cars but the amount of things that need to be replaced within the amount of mile son the car is okay to satisfactory. I understand parts wear out. All togethor the body is rusting, the alternator motor and tranny mounts, the heater core and the tranny are all broken. thats what i know of. i reccomend getting a Honda but not this one.

She's Been Great to Me
By ReviewGUY2010 on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car Used had about 50K miles. Been great since. Its fun. Gets Good miles. Easy to fix. and shes running great. had her for over 5 Years and haven't spent much on fixing anything. just Brakes. Wipers. Headlights. small stuff. Overall GREAT BUY!

Nothing but problems!
By Do not buy! on 01/10/10 16:03 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well bought my civic used and with 65,000 miles. At 77,000 miles the steering rack started leaking and needed to be replaced. All 4 struts blown at 90k miles. Headliner just coming apart and dome lights holding up material. Now at 140,000 miles mainshaft bearing in manual trans and second gear syncro. Had to replace transmission. I have been very gentle to this car and it has just turned into a money pit.

Honda's don't last forever
By COLOCPA on 12/12/09 02:11 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned this Civic for over 3.5 years, bought it at 60k miles and now has 132k miles. Haven't had many problems with the vehicle during this time, replaced brake pads and drums and that is about it. I bought this car based on Hondas reputation and the low operating costs (good gas mileage, doesn't require a lot of repairs). I would definitely not buy a civic again. The ride is very bumpy and it isn't a fun car to drive. Also, the transmission went out at 132k miles and to repair would be over $2k. The car is barely worth that much and needs new tires, struts, and engine work so it is not worth repairing.

Honda's reputation comes through
By Nate on 02/25/09 07:11 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Good reliable car. With regular maintenance and responsible ownership, I've never had any major problems. Great gas mileage! Seems to be built well, and is easy to fix and modify if necessary, both internally and externally. I hope to continue driving this car for years to come.

Suspension is crap
By boxter76 on 02/11/09 08:11 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought brand new, careful maintenance, still issues. 20,000 miles - both front struts replaced under warranty. 90,000 miles - all 4 struts replaced, $900 cost. 100,000 miles - catalytic converter, 2 oxygen sensors, front control arm bushings replaced - $1500 cost. SRS light went off due to faulty drivers' side seat belt buckle, dealer replaced under lifetime warranty of safety equipment. 120,000 miles - rattling started and at 40+ miles/hour sounds like I'm flying a plane. Many suggested here that wheel barrings are out. Never left me stranded, but starting to require more than preventative maintenance.

Honda Delivers
By Eden_Fire on 02/05/09 14:32 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got 90,000 miles on my civic, bought it with 52,000. I have had NO mechanical problems, just brakes and tires. Change oil every 3k, rotate tires every 6k. Clutch is still going strong with no sign of backing down. 35 mpg in the city, 42 on highway. Do the maintenance recommended and you will have a car that you will get your money's worth out of. The ONLY thing that has gone out is the power door locks on the driver's side, but not a big deal.

Problems, problems problems....
By nicoleb on 10/02/08 22:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I wrote an article a year ago or so, but i really want to warn anyone looking into buying this year of civic. Dont. This car is not abused but somehow i have managed to go through 3 sets of struts, new wheel bearings, a new front bushing, my air conditioning is going out, the TRANNY BLEW @ 100k that alone was $2000, the air bags suddenly stopped working, it sputters at stop lights. I have two loans out on this car. one for the actual car and one to fix it, and I am only one of the few that this happened to and i am mad. if i can persuade just ONE person to rethink buying one, i will be at least partially satisfied...

Most Overrated Car on the road! Really.
By godawgs2008 on 07/25/08 16:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new for my daughter's 16th birthday. Why, because I wanted the very best reliability for the money. It was a slam dunk according to "everyone". "What a long, strange trip it's been"... Reliability issues, one after another. Failed auto Door locks. Failed power windows. Failed front and rear struts. Failed transmissions (if this has not happened to you yet, be patient it will. It is a manufacturing defect. Leaky/noisy sun roof Could have bought a Cavalier for this.

Best used car ever
By 007 on 05/29/08 17:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my civic used with 73,000 miles. I drive 37,000 miles a year as a courier and am amazed by the low maintenance 220,000 miles later I am just now replacing the clutch and struts. This is the most serious maintenance I've had yet, besides the normal wear and tear of brakes. I am averaging still an astonishing 40 miles to the gallon.