2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Problem child
By romapav91 on 06/05/12 11:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

In a span of 11 months I have replaced both control arms, the motor mounts twice, the clutch 2 times, oil is leaking from the transmission. Performance wise, don't even think about putting any rims on it. it brought my MPG from an average of 33 in the city to 27 which is a big difference. Ride becomes very bumpy and scary at times. So far has only been giving me problems.

10 Years, 160K Miles, and Still Running Strong
By rtwoods on 09/16/11 09:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car from the original owner in 2006 with about 100k miles. We now have about 160k miles and this Civic has been super reliable. Simple maintenance only (oil, brakes, timing belt). A couple minor, weird issues: had to replace both automatic window regulators, throttle and acceleration are becoming slower. Overall, I'd highly recommend this car. Plus I've achieved over 40 MPG on numerous flat trips.

It's my baby
By Dallas Beaumont on 02/28/10 21:35 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a private seller with 84,000 miles on it, little did I know that the car sustained sub- frame damage but was corrected. My transmissions clutch started to go at 125,000, but that was because the previous owner drove it hard and didn't take care of it. Other than that, this car rocks. I get 45 miles to the gallon and the interior is soft and sleek. This car is extremely reliable and the engine purrs quietly like its brand new and drives like its new. Make sure to replace all the engine and timing belts for long lasting performance. Switch to Mobile 1 synthetic blend. I own an automatic, buyer beware! 2001 was not the best year for this transmission. Go with a manual.

Bullet proof reliable
By habz24 on 11/22/09 18:16 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 civic couple lx new. I bring my baby to the Honda hospital for every oil change and inspection required. The only thing I've changed on my car in 8.5 years are wiperblades, not even a lightbulb. The suspension isn't the best, feel every bump pretty much, but completely bullet proof car.

Good overall car
By Brian on 05/24/09 21:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been quite reliable, never stranding me anywhere. It is somewhat sedate, but that has kept me from getting any tickets in it. This is a benefit in the cost of ownership, which had been very reasonable. I got 96,000 km out of the original tires, the brakes last forever, and oil changes are cheap (compared to my diesel f250). It has had a few minor issues, but I will cover that in the suggested improvements.

Transmission rebuild at 80K
By arlene on 09/27/07 20:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Civic for its reputation for reliability; buying an '01 and getting the first year of a new model turned out to be a bad thing. Got a great price on a cute little red coupe that, honest to God, had only been driven 3K miles in 2 years by a little old man. Couldn't believe my luck, loved my car very much and planned to buy another new Civic someday, until the transmission suddenly mangled up and died for no reason at 80000 miles. Three thousand dollars in repair costs that I can't afford. According to what I've read online, the '01's tend to do this to people. Thanks a lot, Honda, you've lost a future customer. Toyota and VW look pretty good right now!

Great Car!
By Scott G on 05/16/06 08:56 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have 105,000 on this car and the only repair I've had to make is a headlight that burned out about a month ago. Still the original brakes! Second set of tires still look good. I drive a lot of highway miles and average 40+ mpg. This is a great car. The only reason I'm getting rid of it is to buy a 2006 Civic EX coupe.

Great Car
By Brian on 05/09/06 13:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 61000 miles and I am at 75000. It is still running strong and is an awesome car with great fuel economy. It is low on hoarsepower but I put a exhaust and intake on it to bring it up and it is faster. Needs tighter suspension and one of my struts has started to leak and it sometimes pops out of second gear but I have a warrenty on it to cover it. Overall it has been a great car and has saved a lot of money in fuel.

I'm loving it!
By clavie on 03/04/06 10:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this Civic as a second car and because of my commute became my primary car. So far, no issues and really good gas mileage (from 37 to 46MPG in AZ) with Octane 87. I believe I have the better one so far according to (www.fueleconomy.gov). So why buy a hybrid? I recently changed the spark plugs which made a huge difference as the car is more responsive than ever. I'm loving it!

Honda Reliable
By Drive-On-A-Budget on 07/19/05 00:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Buy a Honda new if you can. Maintain it...so far I have 174,000 trouble free miles with scheduled maintenance suggested by Honda. Car is a bit noisy inside, comfort level is adequate. Get about 32 mpg on highway.