Used 2001 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 274 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

A utility car but still fun
By Aamer

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Civic is a great car. You can drive it forever. Its an economy car that makes every day driving tons of fun.

happy
By dane

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in 2014, with 127k miles, i am a pizza delivery driver and it now has 171k miles. I've read a lot of other reviews and i can agree that when putting the car in gear from park to drive, or reverse to drive, it can slip if you step on the gas. My advice to you is: to make your tranny last, go easy on the accelerator right when you get into gear, giving your car this little time cushion will be alot safer on the transmission. you should be able feel the car drop in gear after going into drive. Other than preventative maintenance like the timing belt, water pump, oil changes, new tranny fluid, the best thing you can do is to take care of your car! do the oil changes every 5,000 miles. i started using fully synthetic oil in my car, but its up to you. I'm happy with my honda! <3

Awesome first car!
By Alex

2001 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Honda civic 4 door 2001 AMAZING CAR!!
By Britt

2001 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know what these other people are talking about this is an amazing RELIABLE vehicle mine has 200000 miles and still running great!!!!!!! Such low maintenance only the struts needed repairing after 4 years!! That's it! Looove my Honda

Worst Car I've Owned
By Anonymous

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Maybe I was one of the unlucky few who got a lemon, but this is by far the worst vehicle I've ever owned. I'm currently driving a Toyota and would never go back to a Honda out of pure fear.

We purchased this car used in 2014- we had to have it rewired immediately after purchase. $200.
2000 miles later all the valves bent while driving on the 101 and stalled in the middle of the freeway. $500.
2000 miles later the spark plugs went out. Began overheating. $75
3000 miles later the transmission started slipping and going out. The Engine light turned on. Read as a misfire to cylinders. Over heating was off/on.
500 miles later head gasket blew. Overheated stopped. $500.
500 miles later began over heating again.
200 miles later head gasket blew again and the radiator, fan, and switch needed to be replaced $400.
2000 miles later the radiator began to leak and we had to fill the car up with water up to three times a day.

The car had been maintenance by my mechanic: oil changes every 3k miles, tire rotation every 6k miles, topped off fluids after every oil change, etc.
The car broke this fast after so little use. We did end up selling it after only driving it 10,000 miles.

The appearance of the car, however, was spotless! Easy to clean and maintain- the car looked brand new up until the day we sold it.
This car and I had a love/hate relationship. I loved it when it worked- when it didn't I hated it.

Will personally stick with my Toyota! I'm sure Honda Civics are lovely cars, but I would personally stay away from the 2001 model.