2001 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
It lasted only so long
By maxwellbirch on 03/05/14 09:49 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got the car used and the tranny slippes and the gears popp out. Im a little hard on my cars but the amount of things that need to be replaced within the amount of mile son the car is okay to satisfactory. I understand parts wear out. All togethor the body is rusting, the alternator motor and tranny mounts, the heater core and the tranny are all broken. thats what i know of. i reccomend getting a Honda but not this one.

Good gas savings
By x_danger_x on 06/18/13 12:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl CVT)

Awesome gas mileage but definitely no race car. Worth the money you save on gas. I accelerate and brake hard a lot and average 33 mpg. I haven't had any major repairs. I highly suggest this car to anyone

2001 Honda Civic
By rick248 on 02/21/13 10:24 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

My Civic has about 85K miles on it. Its been great until this morning when I found out it needed a new transmission. Checking on this, I found out that this is not uncommon for the 01 model: many folks have run into the same problem. Also found out, Honda had a program offering assistance with repairs that ran for 7 years or 100,000 miles. I was never informed about this and now am facing a big bill. I contacted Honda and they wished me well but said they could no longer offer any monetary assistance. I believe they should offer something because I was never notified. They usually have a great product but I think I'll look elsewhere in the future.

Best car I have ever owned
By bsalzano on 02/09/13 16:17 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Average 36 mpg, super reliable, classy look,and fun to drive. I bought brand new and have over 160000 miles on it. No problems on this car. Just had one front brake need a new pad but that is all. I love Honda quality!!!

Not all it's cracked up to be
By r_berkhei on 02/05/13 03:43 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Civic Ex in 2010 with 100k on the clock. The car I find completely uncomfortable. Visibility is good, but feel like safety scores are a joke and why wouldn't they put a 5th gear in the thing! Average about 34mpg. Replaced motor mounts within the first year. Then at 50k came the transmission repair. Even though I extensively researched this car, surprise, 2001 honda's frequent tranny problems! Had to get it rebuilt twice. Then all new rotors and wheel bearings (routine I know). Then 1200 dollars in oil leaks, and now a V-tech error and an o2 code. I use Mobile 1 and change it every 5k and always do suggested maintenance. Just feel like its a POS, "but it's a Honda!"

Money pit
By ttemp on 01/12/13 16:29 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I got the car 3 years ago with 115K on the odometer. Instantly invested 2000$ and replaced almost all suspension, motor mounts, power steering pump, timing belt, water pump. At 120K the transmission suddenly died. I replaced it. Now car has 180K. Water pump replaced, wheel studs replaced on 3 wheels. Having electric problems now. This car has good MPG, but requires constant repair.

Too many problems @ 144K miles
By dragonsssix on 12/05/12 15:59 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used almost 10 years ago and it has ~144K miles. I did rev-up quite a lot to its readline (6800rpm) - most of ~144K miles are highway except for the last couple years which I put maybe ~5K miles during 3 year period. I started to have lots of issues for the last year or two: - has crack in exhaust header - gears are slippery above 3000 rpm Good thing about the car is that: - engine is still strong - brakes are really good (haven't replaced, yet no sign of wear) - pretty good gas mileage

01 civic for the long hual
By hondadriver01 on 11/23/12 15:02 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

i own a 2001 civic lx coupe silver with a 4sp auto. i love this car, it has been very good to me and never left me stranded. i have heard about tranny problems but have never had any myself. i only have 78,000 and am easily expecting to get 250-300,000 out of it. the only complaint is the small wheels it comes with but that is all.

2001 Honda Civic
By blipnick on 06/07/12 05:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Fantastic car, 170,000 Km (approx 110,000 miles) and only basic maintenance (except for an alternator). Achieves approx. 48 MPG highway according to the Scanguage II.

Problem child
By romapav91 on 06/05/12 11:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

In a span of 11 months I have replaced both control arms, the motor mounts twice, the clutch 2 times, oil is leaking from the transmission. Performance wise, don't even think about putting any rims on it. it brought my MPG from an average of 33 in the city to 27 which is a big difference. Ride becomes very bumpy and scary at times. So far has only been giving me problems.